The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zenith 26 VA choke
Sad 
Huh  When I bought my 1932 RN a few years back, it took me a while to realise that the choke return spring on the 26 VA carb had been repaired by Messers Heath & Robinson at some point. The standard spring was broken and half of what was left was still in place. It worked well enough.

Anyway - that temporary external arrangement finally gave way last week and I thought it was time to replace with the correct spring(s) - I mean how difficult can that be??

I stripped the cover off carefully and the components do look similar to those shown on the diagram shown (widely found on a search)     - it would be nice to have the list of what the numbered items are, but that's just me.

The main section numbered 16 and the actuating lever are pressed together as a severe interference-fit with the broken spring trapped in between. My questions are -

1. Do I just use brute-force and ignorance to separate this item and having replaced the spring re-press the parts together- being careful with the matching flat section? Pressing together with a vice seems OK, but getting it apart??!!

2. If I complete that - it is fairly obvious where the one end of the spring (no.18) goes on the actuating lever but where does the other end purchase against to supply the compression of the spring?

I have stared at this for quite a while and it isn't obvious to me. A couple of pics of the actual item

Hope you can help me
The choke should come off the brass sleeve with a couple of small screwdriver as levers. The components should be just a good push fit.

The other end of the spring bears against the inside of the shroud (the circular bit that goes over the air intake.)
(13-08-2022, 11:42 AM)Old Dave Wrote: - it would be nice to have the list of what the numbered items are, but that's just me.

The Zenith Service Bulletin has the list, plus a lot of useful technical notes on the back.

[Image: BT862.jpg]

I don't think there's a version online but you can buy them cheaply, I got mine from a7c.co.uk
Thanks David, I will have to be a bit more forceful !! I will order the new springs and get the job done.

Thanks again. I was through Bala last week, fond memories of sailing at the club 30 years ago.

Take care

Thanks for tip Ian, I will get a copy ordered.
Take care
When I did mine I managed to fiddle the spring over the short end piece and by using a circular motion to wind the spring on. The spring stretches a bit but return to its correct shape one in place. Just work out you have it in the correct position before finally winding on to completion.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi John,

Thanks for your message. I had considered having a go without taking the two parts apart. The half spring still in residence might need sawing or grinding off.

I will have a try when the replacement springs arrive. otherwise it will be brute force to separate the two bits.

Thanks again

Dave