The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High torque 12V starter motor experience
Hi,

The forward facing starter motor on my special has decided that the long cranking to pre circulate oil (~20s as I have an external oil filter that drains back)is too much and stopped working. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience of replacing the older motors with something like https://www.holden.co.uk/files/081_1090.pdf , a modern very compact motor? Positives and negatives please Smile

Cheers

David
Have fitted several of these to race engines with no proplems and being prengaged you won't have any ring gear wear.  Terry    
I have something like that.
I spent some time looking at the Denso starter catalogue and discovered that the Rover 75 V6 petrol starter motor has an exceptionally long reach, rotates the right way and has the useful interchangeable Denso multi-splined pinion.
I trimmed the excess mounting points from the front of the starter motor casting, made an adapter from 12mm aluminium to bolt the starter to the 30/31 mounting, on the right register. I sourced the nearest match in diameter and tooth count for the pinion, swapped that over and bobs your uncle. Then I painted it all black, to disguise it deep under the scuttle.
Total cost less than £50.
Just spotted the flaw in the holden advert,
It says direct replacement, but it's 12 volt, ahum ????
(12-08-2022, 11:02 AM)Charles P Wrote: I have something like that.
I spent some time looking at the Denso starter catalogue and discovered that the Rover 75 V6 petrol starter motor has an exceptionally long reach, rotates the right way and has the useful interchangeable Denso multi-splined pinion.
I trimmed the excess mounting points from the front of the starter motor casting, made an adapter from 12mm aluminium to bolt the starter to the 30/31 mounting, on the right register. I sourced the nearest match in diameter and tooth count for the pinion, swapped that over and bobs your uncle. Then I painted it all black, to disguise it deep under the scuttle.
This would be good written up with photos.

Back to the OP my only experience of larger starters was a massive difference for the better on an old Picasso Diesel, high torque starter made it like a new car
(13-08-2022, 10:02 AM)Owinchman Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 11:02 AM)Charles P Wrote: I have something like that.
This would be good written up with photos.

Back to the OP my only experience of larger starters was a massive difference for the better on an old Picasso Diesel, high torque starter made it like a new car

Sorry, just did it without taking photos.

Anyone with a lathe and some engineering common sense should be able to work out the plot. The only thing to be careful about is the motor orientation ensuring that the gearstick can't bang into the positive terminal. It's unlikely but if the stick hits the terminal when you've pressed the starter, it all gets a bit November 5th

Charles