The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about windscreens, here: AD/AE Tourer
Dear ladies and gentlemen

This is Oliver Funk from Switzerland writing. I have some questions about the Chummy's windscreens. 
But at first I want to say "thank you" for accepting me to this very informative forum! Some of you may remember me, I was at the Centenary Event, I was an amazed, delighted visitor. Such a mass of nice cars and nice, warmhearted people! 
My knowledges about Austin Sevens are yet not very wide, due to my former focus on czech cars, but everyday I try to learn something new. Thank you very much for all your help in advance!

Now here come my first set of questions: 
Does anyone know exactly when the split windscreen was replaced by the one-piece windscreen? Does a 1929 AE-Tourer regularly have a one-piece or are both variants possible (ex-works)?
I have been told, the AE Tourer would be 2 inches wider than the AD, is that correct? If so, is a different windscreen needed for the AE? Or does "one size fits all" apply in this case?

Thank you very for your answers.
Best,
Oliver
All AEs had 2 piece screens as far as I know. 

From memory from when I had 2 in the shed. The AE is wider in the beam than a AD by approx your quoted dim. That is wider at the back of the doors. Not sure the width is different at the scuttle
The windscreen currently on my AE Chummy project has mountings for scuttle headlights so I'm assuming it's from an earlier car. It wasn't a perfect fit, but certainly wasn't as much as two inches out! Having said that there is a good chance that it's a reproduction windscreen rather than an original so I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.
Across the supporting uprights the windscreen of my AD is 36.25" and the maximum inside width across the door opening 37.5"
I don't have the figures for the AE, but for the record, my AF's windscreen is 37.75" and the inside width across the door opening 41.5".
I believe all the standard production open cars until the 1932 range had split screens.
October 1931 Model range http://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/u...BR_846.pdf
1932 Model range http://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/u...BR_930.pdf
My AE is one of the last on the model (August 1930) and is two part.

I think there’s Chummys that we’re once box saloons running around with the single piece screens. 

Bryan
Bryan, can you measure the width of the screen across the outside of the supporting uprights? A note of the internal width across a point immediately to the rear of the door opening would also be of interest for the record.
Nice to meet you in Moreton, Oliver.

AE, AF, AG and Boat Tail two seaters had wider screens, all two piece.

The one piece tourer screen came in with the AH model.

Some early Chummies have been fitted with one piece screens from early saloon cars, this was done by the owners, not the factory, however.
Now I have the answer: AE Tourers do have wider screens and they left the factory with a two piece screen.

Many thanks to everyone who replied on my question!
Hi Tony,
The widescreen is 36” across and the body is 43-3/4” across behind the doors.

Bryan
(14-08-2022, 04:34 AM)Bryan Wrote: Hi Tony,
The widescreen is 36” across and the body is 43-3/4” across behind the doors.

Bryan
Thank you Brain - more info for the database....