The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin BT12 spanner
Would something like this cover his needs?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334220420390?...SwLXxhkuCZ
Yes it would, but he wanted something that looked correct until he could find an original BT12.
Is this for display purposes only?
In case anyone is interested there is a guy here in New Zealand who has been making a similar tool for MGs from the 1930s. The price each in 2016 was £68 plus £7.50 postage to the UK.

.jpeg   MG Spanner.jpeg (Size: 58.27 KB / Downloads: 107)

He is more interested in a tool that he can use.
Is it simply for display purposes, Marcus?

The original ones I have used are dreadful, nowhere near meaty enough. I ask, because if you are going to go to the trouble of making new, I would ensure they are thicker than the original ones, even better would be forged.
He wants a tool that he can use. Are your original ones pressed out of flat steel ? if so what thickness is the material ?

Cheers

Marcus
They appeared to be, but I gave them away years ago, Marcus. They were utterly useless.

I have a super spanner for the job, I will look it out and post a photo of it - works perfectly.
Thanks Ruairidh,

Do you only use one spanner or a pair? one to hold the tappet and the other to tighten the cone lock nut ?

I'm away from home at the moment so I cant measure the size of the tappet/locknut could you please let me know the sizes.

Cheers

Marcus
I use this super little spanner on the lock nut (the ring end also fits on the block to crankcase nuts too), in conjunction with a 1/4bsf King Dick spanner on the tappet.

Thanks Ruairidh,

Those photos are perfect. I will get a few cut in different thickness material and let you know how well they work.

Cheers

Marcus