The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin BT12 spanner
Hi Colin
that is one of the later tappet spanners. Even they came in a number of subtly different styles. I have 3 and all are different in markings and thickness. Some have dimensions and an Austin and some are reversed, but all have the same overall dimensions and are 1/8 and 3/16.

Regarding the possibility that earlier BT12 was pressed steel, the only pressed steel 'spanner' I have is the combined feeler gauge/spanner adjuster for the distributor, which of course does much lighter work than a tappet spanner. I would be very surprised if any tappet spanner was pressed steel:

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
The tappet spanners are stamped out of flat then hardened and tempered
1/4" and 5/16" Spanner Size.
They do not need to be very stong as you do not need much force to correctly set and tighten the tappets the taper nut being split and working as wedge in the tappet will stop things from moving.
Over tightening can cause the tappet block to split and jam in the guide.
I have a couple of the double ended forged ones Marcus but have never seen a single ended version. I am happy for you to take patterns but don't see that something cut from plate would make a very satisfactory substitute. Personally I feel Steve's suggestion above is a far more sensible way of producing a usable replacement. I understand however if your suspicion that the early versions were made from plate rather than forged is proven correct and you can find one to copy.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for that but its the single ended one that I am interested in. When I started this I thought this wouldn't be a problem, it seems that while the double ended BT12 is reasonably common, the Mag engine single ended type is rare and we haven't yet confirmed whether it was cut out of flat plate or a forging.

Still, I live in hope that someone will have one and can put up a photo.

Cheers

Marcus
I would suggest the one to copy is the 'Terrys' aftermarket pair. These were widely available through all the cherished suppliers (and generally in the motor trade) for years. Unfortunately they were discontinued a while ago, but would be easy and economical to remanufacture. They were flat plate, one 3/16" and one 1/4". nice long handle making them easy to use. Suitable for all pre-war Austin models as well as Sevens, and probably also a wide range of other older British cars, so would be worthwhile for a supplier to produce in quantity.
Thanks Bystander for that suggestion, here is a photo of a pair, these are stamped 1/4 and 5/16 Whit, are those sizes correct for the Austin 7 ?

Marcus

.jpg   Terry's Tappet Spanners.JPG (Size: 57.42 KB / Downloads: 88)
That's the one I was thinking of (getting my BSF/Whit sizes muddled). There were also a lot of variations of this type of flat spanner produced by Terry's at one time, but discontinued much earlier so not so commonly found these days - see Ebay for a fascinating selection.
Marcus.

PM Sent
It was nice to meet you at Moreton, Marcus, albeit very briefly - there was so much going on.

I am unclear as to the purpose of your query, are you looking to complete an original tool kit, reproduce an original or have a specific use for an original?
Hi Ruairidh,

Yes our meeting at Moreton was unfortunately very brief but you had a lot on your plate at the time, but it was great to meet you at last.

I have been asked to make a copy of a BT12 for a local who wants to use it and have it looking reasonably correct, so not an exact replica but something which ideally looks correct and works. The single ended BT12 seems to be rare as no-one has been able to put up a photo or provide any details. I guess because they were only for the Mag engine they are not as common as the later double ended one and easily lost over the years

Cheers
Marcus