The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More engine trouble - suggestions?
Put the head back on the ruby today after a clean up of the valves and head (& having a look) - It's not running with any gusto at all. Not developing any power and dies after a while of unattended running. Does not seem to rev much, needs a bit of choke to tickover more satisfactorily. I was about to hop in to do a test run when it virtually died climbing a small slope out of the garage.

I suspect an electrical fault at the moment - the ignition cutout seems to make to difference - not least because the car starts and runs without the cutout key inserted...

I've swapped out the condenser and the coil, the points are ok and no cracks in the dizzy cap. New "hot" spark plugs (bit sooty when inspected). New HT leads fitted and a good spark I think. Compression tested and found to be good. Tappets freshly adjusted and all moving freely.

Currently I'm down to:

a) air leak in the manifold
b) dizzy rotor arm?
c) dizzy is too far advance/retarded
d) the car is possessed and needs exorcism.

I'm about out of ideas here so all suggestions welcome!
aha, when you think it is electrikery, it's usually fuel? Angel
Last time I had a similar problem it was old fuel. And when I say old, just 3 months in a less than full can so more air to oxidize. Easy to do quick check. Get fresh and fill the carb bowl.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
almost certainly (d
It has a brand new tank and fuel. I'll try taking the pump apart but it's pumping fuel fine
Joe, if you haven’t tried already, rig up a bottle/can of fuel above the height of the carb and run it gravity feed for a few miles, if there’s no improvement, it’s time for a really thorough clean of the carb and jets (not forgetting the one hiding underneath!)
Hi Joe

I’d check the timing again and see if the auto advance retard is working.

Cheers

Howard
I also suspect ignition timing. Put  the steering column ignition lever to maximum advance, Slacken the distributor clamp, start the engine, rotate the distributor untill the engine runs at it's highest speed. This will give you slightly over advanced ignition timing, which you can alter on the steering column lever.
Thank you all for the suggestions. it was in fact d.

It turns out that the threads holding the points adjustment in place has stripped and had let the points close right up in testing. I opened them up, screwed down the other to stop the points from rotating and I've just done my first 10 mile trip with the ruby running sweetly and pulling like a tractor!
Hi Joe

Well done.

Old adage 80% of fuel problems are electrical!

Cheers

Howard