The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring Loom Query
I’m fitting a loom to a late Ruby
The drg shows a Junction Box as per attached pic
Can anyone please show me where this is fitted and what it looks like
Also I have highlighted a couple of cables that don’t appear to be in the loom I have. Are these separate looms to the main ?
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mine is a mk one, but they might be similar. It's the little round box just above the ignition coil.
It looks to me that the wires marked in yellow are not in the loom. They are just wires running to components.
Jim
Thanks Andrew
I think your loom is very different to mine ?
Yep
That’s what I think , however Andrews pic shows them going to the main loom via the JB
I was expecting a Pink (or purple/black) from the loom into JB to feed Trafficator cct (via switch on steering wheel) and the other three terminals in the JB going direct to Horn and the Trafficators
Fitted a new loom to my Ruby recently.
I was able to reuse the junction box etc.
Additional cable was needed for indicators , horn and wiper motor.
All the electrics now in working order.
If it’s any help you are welcome to view our car.
I see we are fairly close
Regards
Tim
Thanks Tiger
Hi

Most people needing a wiring diagram are faultfinding and trying to understand the electrical function, which is why I drew a modern style functional diagram for the Dorset club website.

However, if you need to know the physical layout, the diagram from the Austin handbook is perhaps more relevant.  These were presumably drawn up by draughstmen steeped in mechanical tradition, who drew a birds eye view of the car with its various looms. This tradition carried on to the 1950's, until electrics became so complicated that there were more lines than clapham junction !

You will see from the 1935 Ruby handbook 1316A diagram below (with my additions) that there were originally a number of non-loom wires.  Some of these e.g. the trafficator arm and wiper feeds are threaded up the windscreen pillars.  At least one of the horn wires goes through a grommet in the centre of the bulkhead above the battery box near the bonnet hinge. The diagram suggests that the pink or purple/black feed to the trafficators might be another non-loom wire, it only goes from the fuse to the junction box a few inches away. Both these items sit on the small flat platform to the offside of the battery box.

Aftermarket looms may reflect common modifications such as double dipping headlights and twin rear lights, so may not follow the original exactly.

.jpg   Ruby Wiring Nov 1935 Handbook 1316A.jpg (Size: 83.22 KB / Downloads: 548)
I thought the question at the start was "what does the junction box look like?" and "where on the car does it sit?". Somehow we seemed to have moved away from that. I'm confused. My photo shows the junction box fitted.

My loom is home made, copying the original.
It was Andrew and you answered it perfectly. I did pm you regarding wiring for further info
However that raised some other questions
As I progress I’m sure there will be more daft questions so please bear with me