The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There in spirit...
As I didn't have an Austin at the time I didn't get a ticket for the centenary celebrations unfortunately. However Adam spotted Mathildeux (without the name decal) and sent me these pics.        
Yep, saw Matilda yesterday being driven by two young chaps in top hats, the steampunk theme suited the car well!
I am also there in spirit. As I no longer drive and my driver (my son) is working and could not get time off I did not book. We are however both kitted out with Austin Centenary hats, polo shirts and jackets. Just my way of supporting the event. I trust there will be plenty of photos and threads on the forum to keep me informed about things.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(22-07-2022, 09:01 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Yep, saw Matilda yesterday being driven by two young chaps in top hats, the steampunk theme suited the car well!
they looked like funeral directors [in vintage sports] searching for a burial. The other incongruous was a huge vintage Rolls limousine on a flatbed, passing up and down the main drive.
I’m there in spirit as well! The Ruby and I were booked in months ago but since then serious back problems have limited my mobility, so I had to admit defeat and call it off - a great shame as it would have been the high point of nearly 50 years’ ownership.
I’m enjoying the live streaming and hope all you attending have a great time.
Alastair
I too am there in spirit, as family commitments precluded me from going.I have been celebrating in my pwn way, though, by using my Seven quite a bit during this week.

I am also reminded that it is also the centenary of the publication of James Joyce's 'Finigan's Wake', another seminal work.

Perhaps I should leave a copy in the back of the Seven. :-)
For those of us who couldn't go, or for anyone who wants to go again, 2 tickets up for auction ending tonight and only £40. Presumably comes with a time travelling machine:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144650491024?...Sw1pdi1WZS
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I was a little uncomfortable going to Moreton. My Dad (Ken Cooke) was struggling a bit, but he insisted that his Chummy (Dingo) must attend in his (and Eileen's) absence. With massive help from my eldest son and his family, I was able to drive my Cambridge Special and later Dingo the 40 miles from my home.
I felt real pride, and quite emotional, as I drove the car onto the rally field.
During the week, I was able to relay countless messages to Mum and Dad. I can assure everyone that passed on their best wishes - they were delivered to them. I sent photos of so many friends and cars. I even got Helmut and Tobias to speak to Dad on the phone.
One of my brothers had made sure that he was able to watch Prescott and the live stream from the main event. He watched Prescott many times. It was to be the last thing that would give him real pleasure. In hospital, in his final hours, we played it again. We hope that he could hear Geoff Roe's excellent commentary, and the sound of the twin cam.
I look back at Moreton, and it feels like it was the culmination of a life's passion for my parent's generation. The best A7 event ever, thanks to the wonderful organisation team.

.jpg   Cooke cars at Moreton.jpg (Size: 141.52 KB / Downloads: 126)
You did the right thing Colin and I totally get the emotions you would have felt driving the Chummy through the gates, totally.

The event was absolutely necessary for the the people, like your father, who started this kind of thing over half a century ago. The fact that they all still knew each other and many of their offspring were continuing the work they started, made it a very emotional event for many of us.

The Dunfords are all together just now, in Frampton, and we spent quite a bit of last night chatting about your mum, dad and you all. You may not remember the teddy bear they gave me, but I still have Fangio!

Take care, Colin. We send you all our love at this very sad time.