The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centenary Event - meeting people
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the event was bumping into people - people that I hadn't met for years, or even putting faces to familiar names on this forum.

But one of the most remarkable incidents for me was meeting Peter Hennell, from whom I bought my first Austin Seven back in the 1960s; the name tag immediately caught my eye as a name I knew, but it took a few minutes for the grey cells to activate! What was even more remarkable was that I had in my possession the original Exchange & Mart advert and his letter (no emails of mobile phones in those days) inviting me to inspect the car! I had anticipated perhaps bumping into the present owner of the car - in the event it wasn't an attendee - but it never occurred to me that I would meet Peter again.

As a result I now have some photos of the car before I owned it!

.jpg   `1966 Welwyn 1.JPG (Size: 111.48 KB / Downloads: 518)

.jpg   1966 Welwyn 2.JPG (Size: 96.44 KB / Downloads: 519)

.jpg   1966 Welwyn 3.JPG (Size: 110.53 KB / Downloads: 519)
Great story Mike!
One of my memorable meetings was bumping into you, Mike and your help and time looking around assembled RM saloons, understanding the roof and interior that I have inherited.

It is probably the only chance I will get to see so many 7's in one place, an invaluable history lesson, so thank you so much!

Thank you to all the organisers for putting on such a wonderful event, one to cherish Smile  and be talked about for some years.

Best Regards, Chris
Just to complete the story, here's that original E&M advert:

...and the car on its way home:

CV 1508 still around. The A55 van not on dvlc list.
..and, eventually, I was to own the van shown towing the A7. Registration 32PNU - I still have the log book. It must be worth a fortune.....
Daisy enjoyed dressing up for the picnic, her own style. ?

She and her sisters enjoyed the event so much that they asked to have some driving lessons afterwards.

Here she is driving the car I learnt to drive in, in the same garden at the same age.

Legacy is strong in this one.

https://youtu.be/n8TPOS2np-o
Big Grin 
Lovely bit of film Ruriadh. 
At least she had enough space to manoeuvre freely without crashing into  the greenhouses Big Grin
Garden looks much bigger than I remember it in the early '70s....
Bob
Well done Daisy.
(04-08-2022, 10:27 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Daisy enjoyed dressing up for the picnic, her own style. ?

She and her sisters enjoyed the event so much that they asked to have some driving lessons afterwards.

Here she is driving the car I learnt to drive in, in the same garden at the same age.

Legacy is strong in this one.

https://youtu.be/n8TPOS2np-o
Do you remember the very first time you engaged the clutch of a powered vehicle and moved away? I certainly do - and the other day I wore myself out teaching four of the five grandchildren to drive an A7 - their first experience in a car. I hope the moment stays with them for life - and so encourages them to get into the hobby.