The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliant/renault 3 bearing crank
Can anyone tell me about the pressure fed 3 bearing crank engines using Reliant or Renault crankshaft?

Seems like it would be a fantastic basis for a long loved ruby engine...
Chris Gould used  a Reliant crank in his record breaking Ulster in 1978. He produced a set of drawings showing all the necessary mods. (Quite a considerable amount of manufacturing involved)
I built a couple of these back when Phoenix cranks were beyond my budget. The simplest way is to do it like Stuart Rolt did. Machine the crank to look like an Austin one, not alter all the Austin bits to accept the Reliant crank, if you see what I mean.
Alan Fairless
I have a sidevalve reliant engine sitting i bought it as a spare for my 1950 Regal - its been stripped and is in a box, but if any of it is of use to anyone, drop me a messege and we can arrange somthing.
OY used to have a supercharged Rolt 3 bearing engine (Reliant crank, rods and block). A lot of work was involved trying to make it race reliable.
The main problem seems to be that the oil pump, whether it be Austin or Rootes only runs at quarter crank speed and can't deliver what's required at the centre main bearing.
For a season before the crank finally broke a high pressure external Burton/Ford oil pump running at half crank speed was fitted to supply the centre main and big ends. It worked, 100 psi hot.
Currently the car has a hybrid Rolt/Rawson unsupercharged engine made from the remains of the Rolt engine with an ebay Rawson crankcase and crank. 
The oil pump is Rootes feeding directly to the main bearing via a filter. Oil pressure cold is 50 psi, hot 40 psi. and I think it's only just acceptable.
I'm thinking about re-installing the Burton pump.

Current bottom end....

Matt Shepherd's race car (built by Andy) has a Reliant cranked Austin engine and it's been pretty reliable.

Worth talking

Charles
All very interesting, thanks all
The best synthesis of knowledge on "Reliant crank in Austin" is probably here from the "old" site.
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...7&cmd=show

Luckily this version of the old site http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...=5&msgid=0
is more accessible than the one linked from this forum

Charles