The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Cooke
The 750 Motor Club has recetly posted this:

750 Motor Club is saddened to announce that long-standing member, club stalwart and Vice President Ken Cooke passed away peacefully last night, with his family around him at the age of 90.

Ken and his wife Eileen joined the 750MC in 1952, and the Club has remained a major part of their lives for the last 70 years. During the 1970s, Ken worked hard to get Austin Seven racing off the ground; originally his idea was for ex-750 Formula cars, but the concept eventually hit the track in 1977 as a series for more standard-type cars.

To help boost numbers, Ken even raced his beloved 1930 Austin Seven Chummy 'Dingo'; something that is still commemorated today with the ‘Dingo Challenge Trophy’. Ken was so proud of the work that Lyndon Thruston, Charlie Plain-Jones and the late John Gasking had put in to make Austin Seven racing what it is today, within the Historic 750 Formula.

Whether out and about driving Dingo to events or away cycling, Ken certainly lived life to the full right to the very end, and would often be seen spectating at 750MC events; rarely missing the annual Birkett Relay race.

Snetterton holds a special memory for Ken; at the Club’s 1980 meeting, Ken's fully committed driving was noted by then commentator, Brian Harvey, with the award of the Driver of the Day trophy. This, in the slowest race car at the meeting - a car that was more suited to driving over the Alps than storming through Riches corner.

He would have loved to be here at Snetterton today in the bustling paddock, to enjoy the Austin Seven Centenary Race and celebrations alongside a busy modern day 750 Motor Club event. The Club’s thoughts are with Eileen, Colin and the rest of Ken’s family and friends at this sad time.
I met Ken at occasional Austin 7 meetings since 1973. Always encouraging and helpful. Amazing memory for people even when we hadn't met for many years He knew your name and your cars. He will be sadly missed. Pete
Sad to hear this — Ken was one of those people we thought would always be there. Such an encouraging enthusiast over so many years.
My wife took Eileen up Kop Hill in our special a few years ago - it was Ken’s idea. They were both up for new adventures, on any scale.
It was nice speaking to Colin at Morton the other day and good to see the interest and enthusiasm carrying on.

Charles
Was great to see his car last week at Morton. His enthusiasm and memories will live on. Thinking of his family at this sad time.

Such sad news, we all knew and recognised Ken’s sense of fun, endless enthusiasm and organising ability as one of the founders of the Austin Seven brotherhood which we see today, and saw at Moreton on such a grand scale.
He will be greatly missed. Sincere condolences to Eileen and the rest of the family.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
That is sad news about the passing of Ken.
For the past fifty years or more he was the driving force behind Austin Sevens in the 750 Motor Club.
He took part and organised all aspects of Austin Seven sport, adventures and also wrote regular reports for the Bulletin. 
He served as a Board member for many years.
He will be greatly missed.
Colin told us, and others at Moreton last week, how much his father enjoyed the video of everyone wishing him well.

Nick Salmon organised that, what a super thing it turned out to be.

Sleep well Ken.
Debs and I are much saddened by the news about Ken, but a long life, well lived should be celebrated. It is poignant that he and Eileen could not make it to the Centenary, which would have been so fitting, given their dedication and enjoyment of all things Seven. RIP Ken; you will be missed.
I had known Ken for 45 years, in fact he was one of the first people I met in the Austin Seven scene. He was the greatest possible ambassador for our cars (and for the 750 Motor Club) as well as being one of the most optimistic people I've ever known. One warm summer's evening at a North Herts meeting in Woolmer Green Ken took for me for a trip through the village in his Chummy; it was my first experience of an open-top car and the memory will stay with me for ever.

Ken and Eileen had dinner with us 4 or 5 years ago after completing the North Coast 500. He shared his love of motor racing, his enjoyment of cycling and his delight in an ever-growing family. He never seemed to age and it's hard to imagine life without him.

Sincere condolences to Eileen and the rest of the family.
Hi Everyone,

Thankyou David for starting this post. It is heartening to see all the very kind messages. I will make sure the whole family see them.

Best Regards,
Colin