The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner with electrical questions
Hello
We have just purchased a 1931 Seven.
Its a non runner at the moment but we are working on this.
Now it has a Dynamo regulator which is something I know little about but as its mechanical I assume a solid state conversion is available?
Now should I fit electronic ignition?
Thanks
Hello winchman

The only regulation of the Dynamo is by its "third brush" internal construction, which reduces the variation in output with changes in engine speed. The Lighting/Charge switch also offers a Low and High charge setting, to avoid overcharging the battery on long trips in daylight.

The "regulator" box is a simple cutout, to stop the battery draining back into the Dynamo. This has a couple of windings plus a pair of contacts. All pretty simple and reliable. A suitable power diode (Schottky type) will work as a modern substitute but only really justified if your cutout is beyond repair.

Opinions vary on electronic ignition, but bear in mind that the low compression ratio and low maximum revs mean that spark energy demands are modest so the standard system properly maintained is fine. Points wear is unlikely to be an issue with the low mileage most people do. And if traditional ignition fails, it can be easily mended at the roadside.
Thanks John
Did a bit of reading last night so I understand it a bit more now.