The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float on air repair
In the cabriolet, I have replaced the original Float on Air with modern replacements. The problem I have is that one of them doesnt really want to hold air any more and the wife grumbles. Does the Team think I could cut out the original 'puff and plug' inflators with valves form an old inner tube, giving a better seal? If so, what adhesive do you suggest to stick the rubber that I would leave round the base of the valve when cutting it from the tube. I'm not really sure what the material is that the new inflatables are made from...

Something as simple as EvoStick maybe? Probably something I only want to do once and get right first time...

Hello Hugh
I had the very same problem.
My solution was to use screw in tyre valves with large washers and rubber sealing washers the same size. The inner washer was soldered to the tyre valve to prevent any leaks. The inflatable is very elastic so you can stretch it to get the inner washer and valve assemble inside. I had tried to seal the original valve with glue but gave up. This way required no sealant at all.
Outside view.

Inside view showing soldered washer (not very clear I'm afraid)

Hope that helps.
Adrian.
Hugh, what are the inflatable units that you've used?
I think I got them from Bryan Purves, who sadly passed away a while back. Although some of his prodects are still available, I'm not sure these cushions are. Though the great big oversize bicycle tyre inner tubes are a good substitute it seems...

That looks a good solution, Adrian. Thanks...
I've used Vittoria Fat MTB 26 x 4.0-4.9 bicycle tubes in the front seat cushions of my RM. Looking at the cushions insitu they look a bit 'lumpy' but sitting on them they're incredibly comfortable and at £11.97 inc. VAT and postage for two, a true bargin. Because they're made for off road bikes, the material they're made from is quite thick and therefore very robust, another benefit.

Steve
(30-07-2022, 11:46 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: In the cabriolet, I have replaced the original Float on Air with modern replacements. The problem I have is that one of them doesnt really want to hold air any more and the wife grumbles. Does the Team think I could cut out the original 'puff and plug' inflators with valves form an old inner tube, giving a better seal? If so, what adhesive do you suggest to stick the rubber that I would leave round the base of the valve when cutting it from the tube. I'm not really sure what the material is that the new inflatables are made from...

Something as simple as EvoStick maybe? Probably something I only want to do once and get right first time...

Hello Hugh,

I bought mine from Bryan, some years ago. They were expensive!  He told me they are made from the same material as the ‘skirt’ on a hovercraft.
Funnily enough I remember standing under an oak tree at Beaulieu with Bryan. I didn’t know it was him at the time. It was chucking it down with rain and I had to listen this chap going on and on about a definitive Austin Seven book he was working on — must have been 1987/8 as his Source Book was published shortly afterwards.

Charles
The company that supplied Bryan was called Duratank, a subsidiary of Griffon Hoverwork. Indeed still building hovercraft.
Having looked at Duratank's prices I opted for Decathlon's Inflatable cushions         and found they were made for the job. Much cheaper and very comfortable.
I've got a few 29" Fatty mountain bike tyre tubes left over that I used on the Nippy bags... which gather to the same sort of effect as the originals. I've got another new pair spare for 15 quid (long presta valves) if any desperate to try another approach...