The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Centenary Event - Spitfire flyover…
If anyone has film/photos, please post up.

My first experience of a Spitfire fly by - terrifying noise!
There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin engine, other than 4 of them at the same time (Lancaster)
Glorious to have that other British icon salute the Sevens at Morton in Marsh. Would have been nice if it could have taken pictures of us as it did its passes.
(29-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin engine, other than 4 of them at the same time (Lancaster)

I was lucky enough to witness the UK and Canadian Lancasters flying together over the Ladybower dams a few ago. My mother related a story to me of one section of a thousand-bomber raid assembling over Lincolnshire; her memory was that as the planes circled round to gather in formation, the ground appear to vibrate and the noise frightening.
(29-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin engine, other than 4 of them at the same time (Lancaster)

or a DB 605
One of my greatest thrills was to fly alongside the Lancaster whilst I was doing a few circuits of Hurn airport. Couldn't match their  speed but for a few seconds WOW. Never to be forgotten.
Tried to post Vidio but System would not allow. Pete
If you can upload it to YouTube, it is possible to post a link, this Forum cannot host videos direct, unfortunately.
I had the thrill of my life when my good lady treated me to a flight in a spitfire for my 70th birthday.
Left from Biggin Hill flew out along the Thames estuary then across the Kent countryside and out over Dover, then west along the coast then back up over Leeds Castle and back to Biggin Hill.
About an hour in the air and I was able to take “control” which was a truly amazing never to be forgotten experience
As no-one else has been brave enough to attempt this... rubbish filming but the noise is unmistakable...

https://youtu.be/XtJX4oim-Rg