The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Centenary Event - David Mawby collection…

Also including 3 very early cars brought by Norman Purves, all the way from the Borders.
Please share photos, if you have them, I do not…

Could somebody more knowledgeable than me add the model and year to the photos please. I am going to a rally in September and am trying to make up a display board of the different models made as it is our centenary year.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Do you have a copy of this, John?

https://a7ca.org/newsarchive/identifying...-initials/
Thanks Ruairidh I was not aware there were so many models and that’s without Swallows. Arrow and Mullner etc. Then there are the foreign ones such as American Bantom, BMW and Rosengarth.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The green chummy is one of the few A-type survivors, and probably the oldest in private ownership.

The dark blue coupe is a one-off from 1923 - I'm not sure whether this is a survivor or a copy, but it appears to be totally authentic.

The bare alloy car appears to be a B-type chummy body with a hard-top grafted on; there were original blueprints of the style on display, so this is presumably a creation of a proposed style that was probably never built.
To be honest Mike, the alloy car is based on a drawing in the Archive of unknown provenance. I would be wary of applying too much authenticity to its basis, however good the construction is...
I think Martin has saved any feeling of 1922-ness by developing it, probably subconsciously with knowledge of the feel of the GESS they have been working on. The side view of the plan I saw looked like it had the rear roof radius of a steel '31 Box. (I had a look through the Doctors Coupes for same, but its only the Maythorn - 1927 - that has that sort of curvature)
I think it's unwise that that car gets considered with the more original Mawby cars. It IS undoubtedly a lovely thing, but perhaps like with the Brooklands lookalikes, we have to be careful that these cars don't become seen/known as originals if they are structurally different - or like this, possibly weren't ever there in the first place. A great vision though! It broadens the range of the contemporary coachbuilt in the same way as the Naulls/Dunford.