The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ignition switch
I need a new ignition switch - this raises several q's

1. Where on earth can I get one
2. What is the point of the high/low charge setting - I understand the idea if the lights were on but...
They turn up on ebay from time to time. I believe that the correct one is a Lucas PLC2. The summer charging rate is to trickle charge the battery. Overcharging tends to damage them.
Don’t throw the old switch away Joe, there are a few of us that can pull them apart and get them going again.

There is an alternative of course and that is to leave the original switch in place and by pass it with a hidden switch. I have done that to avoid wearing out the very worn key switch I have and both switches work in tandem.
(28-07-2022, 10:39 PM)David Stepney Wrote: They turn up on ebay from time to time. I believe that the correct one is a Lucas PLC2. The summer charging rate is to trickle charge the battery. Overcharging tends to damage them.

Good suggestion re:eBay!

I've just realised I am an idiot and I was forgetting the ruby has no regulator 
(28-07-2022, 10:39 PM)David Stepney Wrote: They turn up on ebay from time to time. I believe that the correct one is a Lucas PLC2. The summer charging rate is to trickle charge the battery. Overcharging tends to damage them.

(29-07-2022, 09:00 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Don’t throw the old switch away Joe, there are a few of us that can pull them apart and get them going again.

There is an alternative of course and that is to leave the original switch in place and by pass it with a hidden switch. I have done that to avoid wearing out the very worn key switch I have and both switches work in tandem.

That's a neat idea, I'll try to get a new one first. Or take this one apart to fix
Be very careful if you take one apart: there is a socking great spring inside it whose secondary function is to propel the little parts inside the switch all over the workshop. And it makes it a right s*d to put it together again. Also the plastic lugs on the top edge of the body are fragile... New PLC5 switches are available from the Cherished Suppliers, but they don't have the Summer/Winter Half/Full Charge setting; that can either be ignored or operated by a secondary switch.