The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine noises
Hi

Unless the manifold face on the block is actually the gasket it’s going to need some cleaning  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
(29-07-2022, 04:36 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: It's a 3 bearing, isn't it?

I don't know what noises one should listen for on a 3 bearing.

A three bearing sounds quite different to the two bearing — a quieter engine altogether. I reckon, for this reason alone, it might be worth looking a bit further for that rattle.
(29-07-2022, 04:08 PM)JoeRowing Wrote: And order some more gaskets...

I think that you may find some near the valve spring compressor

I've always found the small Austin 7 specific type of valve spring compressor a lot easier to use

c
(29-07-2022, 04:56 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(29-07-2022, 04:36 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: It's a 3 bearing, isn't it?

I don't know what noises one should listen for on a 3 bearing.

A three bearing sounds quite different to the two bearing — a quieter engine altogether. I reckon, for this reason alone, it might be worth looking a bit further for that rattle.

Well, the sump will be off too tomorrow...

Hopefully you're right about the gaskets Charles! Not sure how much has not now been taken to Andy's. 
I have a spare pressure fed 3 bearing bottom end and I might have a 2 bearing one too,  though I think the balanced 2 bearing crank that I was going to keep ended up going with the Marriott.
Just one from experience.
Check the cam followers all drop down onto the camshaft.
Its not unknown for the taper locknut to be overtightened and split the cam follower which then jams in guide.
This makes a horrible noise causes a missfire and loses compression.
I have a few split ones in the junk pile.
Yep. Lots of cleaning required. I'm having a hard time balancing sensible "that'll do" and my dad's approach which would have been to pull it all apart, face and lap everything (and then assemble in a mad rush on the Friday before a Saturday meeting).

We did a complete strip and rebuild of an engine one morning at wiscombe. Think he was 2nd up the hill having started the run about 3 minutes after we dropped it back in the car. If I'm honest I'm really enjoying this project but it's more than a little painful not being able to pick up the phone and share the highs and lows.

Good suggestion! Will check!