The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We left our mark
The only problem with having a piece of cardboard or polythene under the engine is that in windy weather many would end up blowing about, potentially causing more of a problem.   Whilst it is quite difficult to make an Austin 7 engine absolutely oil-tight, a well maintained car should drop very little oil.  I would not want a large drip tray under mine, to my mind that is not tackling the problem.   There is probably less work involved fitting a decent aluminium sump and silicon gasket than fabricating and fitting a large undertray.  If there are serious leaks from other parts of the engine then perhaps it's time to whip the engine out and fix it?
As someone who runs a machine that is lubricated on a total loss system, it leaves these slicks everywhere. So dont worry. 

It has almost no effect on grass so long as its not hot. A little oil is soon broken down by the weather. So long as the area isnt constantly wet with oil.

With tarmac, a dusting of biological washing powder breaks it down pretty quickly. Though it looks worse for about a fortnight - white patches everywhere.  But once thats gone the patches vanish. Car engine oil is particularly easy to dissapear.

Besides, the size of the patches show that the amount of oil is pretty small. You want to see what the patch is like when you spill 1/2 litre.