The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Go, No spark, Help!
Fitted the new fuel tank to the Ruby today and it was finally time to start her up - but no go. 

Useful info:
It's a ruby which has sat around for a few years but was running in 2018 when it went away.

I have:
Replaced the tank,
Cleaned the fuel lines
Checked & cleaned the fuel pump
Checked & cleaned the carb
Cleaned all the spark plugs, 
Cleaned the points and rotor arm 
Cleaned the king lead contact in the distributor.
Changed the coil for another one.

I have tried the old spark plug against the head trick and no spark. Tomorrow I'll try serious diagnostics but I'm operating on brain cells I last used over 20 years ago so...

What now? What have I missed?

Is it time for new leads & condenser?
With the points open:  Have you got voltage on the coil - then, is it on the contact on the outside of the dizzy - then, is it on the moving side of the points?

If "No" to the first, then take a wire direct from the battery to the coil, if still "No", either the coil is open circuit or the earth return isn't working.

If "No" to the second, the wire from coil to dizzy isn't working.

If "No" to the third, the internal connection in the dizzy is suspect.

If "Yes" to all these, then either the points are not opening, or the earth return from the points to the battery isn't continuous, or the whole lot is shorted out.

If you don't have a meter, a bulb with wires you can clip on as required will do.

Obviously, you need a spark before you can diagnose things further.
amazing - thanks!
Ummm - one obvious thing I have forgotten more than once recently - have you put the rotor arm back in?

One not so obvious - does the dizzy cap have the little sprung dangly carbon whatsit in the middle, inside?
(25-07-2022, 05:07 PM)JoeRowing Wrote:  What have I missed?

Is it time for new leads & condenser?

You need to remember that new parts can be faulty, so try not to renew too many parts at the same time, you might fix one problem and introduce another new problem.
'One not so obvious - does the dizzy cap have the little sprung dangly carbon whatsit in the middle, inside?'

I'll second that one. I have a spare cap with my other bits and pieces in the car and on tidying it all up the other day realised that the carbon 'nipple' and spring were missing. No idea where they had gone.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Ok, so I've had the multimeter on it and:
6v across the points when open,
The distributor has the carbon contact in it.
Rotor arm in place no problem.
The starter turns the motor ok and the points open and close as expected...
Back to the car for more headscratching...

Ok. We have spark and about 2 seconds of running!
It runs!

Thank you all!
(26-07-2022, 12:33 PM)JoeRowing Wrote: It runs!

Thank you all!

And the answer was........?
(26-07-2022, 12:46 PM)Charles P Wrote: And the answer was........?

The answer was a dodgy King lead connection - I cut it a bit shorter and all was well!