The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coupled brakes in 1926?
I am just working out the front brake cable routing on Slippery Anne, in the process of which I referred to one of my period chassis photos of Slippery taken in late 1926 or 27. After studying this same picture a thousand times I noticed something ‘new’!
On the brake cross tube I spotted that there is a lever on the centreline with a pushrod or similar going forward. I have no idea to what this was connected, could it be some form of early brake coupling?

F

Any suggestion will be very welcome.
Regards, Mark.
There were 4 wheel brake conversions around at that time - Henry Harris wrote about them on the old forum if I remember correctly.
Could it be this?

.jpg   A7 Bodelo Brake Attachment.JPG (Size: 148.77 KB / Downloads: 403)
This is from my parts collection Mark, it will be used on my early project.

.jpg   DSC06380.JPG (Size: 226.36 KB / Downloads: 359)

.jpg   DSC06381.JPG (Size: 214.23 KB / Downloads: 358)
Black Art Enthusiast
(03-02-2018, 10:45 PM)Bryan Norfolk Wrote: Could it be this?

I have had  three drop arms, one a genuine Bodello (minus the adjustable pulley) all not very well set up so removed and returned to separate front/rear brakes. 

Cheers, Tony
Thank you all for your replies.
I now realise that I have been rather slow in respect of this feature. But, armed with this new insight, I can now see that what I thought was a scratch on the period photo is in fact a brake cable running from the centrally mounted cross shaft lever to the front brake hub, the standard handbrake cable is visible above it.
I assume the new lever is exactly the same length as the standard rear brake cable levers, but wonder how the cable attaches to the levers at the brake hub, does anyone have a picture?

Regards, Mark
I have some photos of the export left hand drive set up which may be useful to you.  It has coupled foot brake and a separate handbrake cable linked up to a system not unlike the early handbrakes:

.jpg   Detailhandbrake-4_zps001bce9f.jpg (Size: 73.24 KB / Downloads: 269)

.jpg   Detailhandbrake-3_zps472e9d7c.jpg (Size: 67.23 KB / Downloads: 270)

From memory the separate handbrake rope was simply attached to the side of the coupled rope using a longer than normal bolt. I will try to make one up and photograph for you.

That is how mine were attached . The Bodelo looks to have flat cable ends presumably with a hole for the bolt.
Cheers, Tony.
Ruairidh, thank you for the explanation and pictures,

Regards, Mark