The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat care
I did search the forum but can't find a good answer....

I have a lovely set of original seats in my ruby - how do I best treat/feed/care for them?

Thanks!
My local saddler says "use vegetable oil" on leather.

I have cheered up old car seats with olive oil.
Joe,
I suggest "WOOLIES" (I & C Woolstenholmes Ltd) products for your leather seats. You wll find them on the web or 01778-347347
(no connection with them, other suppliers are available)
Graham
I use neatsfoot oil on my horse equipment. Keeps it nice an subtle. have used it in the past for old and cracked leather. Keep on wiping it on until it wont absorb any more. Leave for a couple of days and buff with a soft lint free cloth.
I wonder what the seat of your pants would look like after sitting on a seat treated with any of the above products. 
I have recently used "Elephant Leather Preserver" with great success in restoring a 70+ year old Gladstone Bag and another item nearly as old. This is a synthetic product allegedly used by European museums. It is purported to revive old leather, inhibit mildew, prevent thread rot and revive faded dyes. It is practically odorless. I appears from Google that it can be bought online internationally.  Still can't guarantee that it won't mark your pants because I can't sit on my Gladstone Bag for long enough to test that.
(20-07-2022, 10:54 AM)Graham Barker Wrote: I wonder what the seat of your pants would look like after sitting on a seat treated with any of the above products. 

Exactly one of my worries. Thanks for the suggestions all!
As noted, there are all sorts of concoctions for leather seats. But I'm not entirely sure that the original seats in your ruby will be leather. More likely period faux leather surely?.
(20-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: As noted, there are all sorts of concoctions for leather seats. But I'm not entirely sure that the original seats in your ruby will be leather. More likely period faux leather surely?.

Seats in my 1934 Ruby were leather. The back seat still is. Door linings were leather too.
What bits of upholstery that existed on my ARQ Ruby were leather on the seat squabs and backs but Rexine on the rear facings, with leather on the doors
(20-07-2022, 11:47 AM)JoeRowing Wrote:
(20-07-2022, 10:54 AM)Graham Barker Wrote: I wonder what the seat of your pants would look like after sitting on a seat treated with any of the above products. 

Exactly one of my worries. Thanks for the suggestions all!

That is why you let whatever treatment you use soak in well and then buff with a soft cloth when dry.