The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Centenary question
i apreciate friends will always stick together.

and will always back each other on the forum.

but ian, anne, and tony. unless you have been instructed by the committee of what is needed to be sorted. 

you dont know anything of whats going on,

so best to stick together as friends, and stay out of others problems. 

the second time ive had to be polite today Angel

tony
In my previous life I have organised work events for global sales teams. The first year I did it we got by with a basic 2 day event. I learnt lots. The second year I tried to make it more interesting and I made some mistakes, which upset some. By year 4 it was a week long, included a leadership event and I had it sorted and the event ran smoothly.
Whether paid or volunteer isn't in my mind the point, what is is just how incredibly difficult it is to organise large numbers of people over a period of time including entertaining them and arranging a number of events through those days. All as a one off event.
You absolutely must agree rules at the start and not allow them to be stretched elastically, even for small amends. There lies madness for those trying to understand and apply rules.
Those attending must also understand that the organisers will be run ragged in the final days dealing with 1000 small things and 100 large ones. They will be lucky to be contactable by phone and even more lucky to still be sane/coherent if you do get to them. They may even appear unreasonable in their stress.

I am not involved in organising the event nor am I attending but I have nothing but admiration for those who have put their time and energy into organising it.
Those who attend will experience some organisational frustrations I am sure, but be kind to the organisers who have made any of it possible. Only they will know the herculean efforts they have put in.

I hope you all have a wonderful time and I hope someone deletes this post so that it does not stand as a record of the run up.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(13-07-2022, 07:15 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: i apreciate friends will always stick together.

and will always back each other on the forum.

but ian, anne, and tony. unless you have been instructed by the committee of what is needed to be sorted. 

you dont know anything of whats going on,

so best to stick together as friends, and stay out of others problems. 

the second time ive had to be polite today Angel

tony

Thanks, Tony, My points stand. We have had no contact or instructions from the committee, nor do we know - or need to know - about the problems. The simple fact is that such things should not be made public - it is in nobody's interest to do so for the problems cannot be solved by other than those involved.  We are all looking forward to viewing your wonderful stock which, I know will have taken much effort, hard work and time to organise.
I am deeply offended by your suggestion that I might have been "instructed by the committee", Tony. As a result, I feel that I need to state publicly that I am commenting entirely on my own behalf; the views I have stated are my own and have not been influenced in any way by anyone; not even by my husband, let alone friends and most certainly not by any member of the committee. On the subject of friends, I thought this was a friends' forum, so I am disappointed to find it being used for this sort of spat. Anyone raising an issue on a public forum like this has no cause for complaint when people such as myself voice their own opinion on the matter.  Private matters are always best dealt with privately.
anne,

to state you are not influenced by your husband. and then word for word repeat what he has sed, you are truely in sinct as a couple.

me im not edjicated, so i can never understand on the forum when people i view as edjicated mix MY words to to show how right they are. and wrong i am.

my words "UNLESS you have been instructed"

you and your husbands understanding of my words "is im accussing you of being instructed" so you are offended.

well if thats were you and your husband want to twist my words to, 

my trying to be polite, was a way of trying to politey tell you both to keep your noses out, 

you could simply just do that?

wow, thats 3 in a row. a true tryfecta Big Grin how much friendlier can the forum be.
(13-07-2022, 10:41 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: anne,

to state you are not influenced by your husband. and then word for word repeat what he has sed, you are truely in sinct as a couple.

me im not edjicated, so i can never understand on the forum when people i view as edjicated mix MY words to to show how right they are. and wrong i am.

my words "UNLESS you have been instructed"

you and your husbands understanding of my words "is im accussing you of being instructed" so you are offended.

well if thats were you and your husband want to twist my words to, 

my trying to be polite, was a way of trying to politey tell you both to keep your noses out, 

you could simply just do that?

wow, thats 3 in a row. a true tryfecta Big Grin how much friendlier can the forum be.
The word "unless" was an attempt to suggest that this was the case - otherwise, why mention it? Secondly, I am in no way interfering in your dealings with the organisers; I've no idea what these are, I don't want to know as I'm entirely disinterested in them - they're your private business. The only thing that concerns me is that these difficulties have been made public and should not have been. Of course, Pandora's box is now open and there's no closing it; a shame.

Attached Files
.jpg   pandora.jpg (Size: 444.31 KB / Downloads: 368)
Any chance of dropping this personalised and tedious subject?
Tony, the fact remains that, unless you had suspected that I had been influenced by my friends & /or by the committee, then there would have been no reason for you to have said "unless you have been influenced by your friends and the committee". It would appear that both my husband and I share a similar view about the washing of dirty linen in public. Even after many years together, we get on quite well, he & I, but you'd be surprised how often our views don't agree; be that as it may, if any of my words happen to have been used by him, or his by me, then it doesn't make them any less valid for that. As for keeping my nose out.... as I said before, you took the decision to make a comment on a public forum so you are not in a position to complain when you don't like the responses you get. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there? Funny thing about friendship...... you tend to get along best with folks that are like-minded.... there's no conspiring, just a natural sharing of viewpoints and similar outlooks.
(14-07-2022, 12:19 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Any chance of dropping this personalised and tedious subject?

I'd drop it in a flash if the other party could answer a simple question: was the forum the right place to make public their complaints about the various responses of the volunteer organisers to their problems? If they think it was, that's fine, we know where we stand and can agree to disagree.
(13-07-2022, 08:01 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: In my previous life I have organised work events for global sales teams. The first year I did it we got by with a basic 2 day event. I learnt lots. The second year I tried to make it more interesting and I made some mistakes, which upset some. By year 4 it was a week long, included a leadership event and I had it sorted and the event ran smoothly.
Whether paid or volunteer isn't in my mind the point, what is is just how incredibly difficult it is to organise large numbers of people over a period of time including entertaining them and arranging a number of events through those days. All as a one off event.
You absolutely must agree rules at the start and not allow them to be stretched elastically, even for small amends. There lies madness for those trying to understand and apply rules.
Those attending must also understand that the organisers will be run ragged in the final days dealing with 1000 small things and 100 large ones. They will be lucky to be contactable by phone and even more lucky to still be sane/coherent if you do get to them. They may even appear unreasonable in their stress.

I am not involved in organising the event nor am I attending but I have nothing but admiration for those who have put their time and energy into organising it.
Those who attend will experience some organisational frustrations I am sure, but be kind to the organisers who have made any of it possible. Only they will know the herculean efforts they have put in.

I hope you all have a wonderful time and I hope someone deletes this post so that it does not stand as a record of the run up.

Wise words, many thanks, Andy.