The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C35M dynamo disassembly problem
Trying to take apart a C35M but it had no nut holding on the gear to the engine side. 
It also has no thread whatsoever there.
How can I take the nut (under the cover) off the other end to disassemble? 
I've tried putting the gear end in a wooden-jawed vice but it just spun, even with the key in place.
I clearly don't want to mash up the surface where the gear will sit, but there isn't seemingly anywhere where I can lock it tight.

When I DO get it all out, will a standard die give enough thread creation when the threaded section is tight up to the wider diameter of the gear shaft? i.e. what would best practice be here, please?
TIA
Jon if the nut will turn on the armature end, it should come off with the aid of a two legged puller. Once off, you will be able to assess what's left of the thread on the armature. If you are lucky,only the nut thread will be stripped.
Try removing the drive gear key and oil thrower, then remove the through bolts and the brushes and their leads. You should then be able to withdraw the drive end plate and field casing. Now you can grip the armature in wood protectors to undo the distributor drive gear nut.
Good thinking thanks both. I've also realised if i put the gear back ON, I may also get enough purchase; I must have gripped here for previous dismantlings.

The crucial bit is, will I have enough space to operate a standard die to recut the thread, with no 'runout' space for the die to move forward?
Just rebuilt 2 C35M
If you could post a picture this may help
the duff end. I dont think this unit has ever been apart before. Managed to free it but have to attend to thread...    
What thread….. Big Grin Big Grin

Howard
That is well mangled Jon. Where did the nut go and what mischief could it cause ?? if its in the camshaft / dynamo support housing, I would want to strip that all down to "find" the nut and washer, then cut a new thread onto the end of the dynamo shaft. You may need a special home made over sized nut which will be big enough to retain the gear properly.
This wasn't on a car and that was obviously why! So presumably, it was insufficiently tightened when originally fitted and was identified through some clattering or other. But why would the thread have gone entirely?

Could anyone suggest the largest thread diamter I might reasonably seek.... from looking at the stump? i.e. would a die of the original size thread reform it?
Hi Jon

Do you know if the dynamo works?  That it generates current?

If not I wouldn’t waste your time. 

Cheers

Howard