The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British GP Silverstone
You might have missed the best bit Watch from 8:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaJvrHXPDAY
I must admit,

With Silverstone and top gear, it's good to see the austin sevens getting sthown to the public.

Something that has been missing so far in the centenary year.

And I'm sure will be reflected in the future with the lack of new comers.

What seems to be missing from both is nobody on those programs have pointed out, that this is the austin sevens 100 anniversary?

.jpg   FB_IMG_1656967658721.jpg (Size: 27.96 KB / Downloads: 250)

As well as Tony's snippet, the soshal meeja have shown the GP drivers being taken to the grid in Sevens. Who pulled off this feat, are there modest forum folk who should claim credit?  This must have shown a very large number of spectators what an important year this is for the Seven, particularly if the commentators gave a suitable description of the Seven, and its social and competition significance. 

Which would have been more than the commentators at Shelsley managed. Attempts to get the event organisers to recognise that this very venue, Sunday being just a few weeks short of the actual centenary, had witnessed the first public appearance and the first competition entry of Longbridge's  world famous machine were wholly unsuccessful. We do not seem to be the target market for MAC's PR or visitor experience team.  The commentators wholly ignored the importance of the day for Sevens and thus for hillclimbing history. But then there were no announcements of non starters, making one's programme somewhat hit and miss. Nor were there announcements of cars not in the programme. As for being unable to tell the difference between a Riley and a Fraser Nash.... The programme itself,  despite some of the introduction being written by an owner of Sevens, also completely ignored the centenary. Although the  entry was somewhat short of full and with numbers of non starters, the day got later and later, we left at quarter to six with quite  a number of second runs still to come. 

Never mind, the few Sevens owners who were not at Beaulieu or Silverstone chatted a great deal and fun was had by all. Ice creams had to be purchased early before the vans gave up on such low spectator numbers and went home early. And what is really important is that we can now eagerly look forward to a very well organised and historically significant  gathering on the lawns at Prescott, where the hard working and committed organisers promise a display and demonstration of a magnificent range of Sevens. 

It is my understanding that the A7s at Silverstone were there because of the efforts of A7CA Sec. Paul Lawrence and the late Tony Dron, Steve.
Steve and Tony, if we worried too much about contemplating others' realities and life views, we'd all go mad. Even if the message WAS perfect as a result of bringing all those other cogs in the drivetrain into harmony, you still have the users who have to make any conscious attempt receive it all let alone process it! Much social media improves the lot of the poster in the short term, but not if they consciously think about whether any reaction was 'real'; it relies mostly on people waiting for a suitable new gap to talk rather than any desire to listen.
I would have thought that all the rich, fabulous things 'the many' have seen over the last few days will filter down in ways that we may not initially realise. From those who additionally experienced through touch and smell, there must be at least one of those F1 drivers who will eventually end up with a Seven in their stable. Just think what that could do.
hi steve,

sorry to here you got the same annoyance at shelsley, that i had with the tv coverage.

i read every thread you put up pushing the event, BIG WELL DONE. id loved to have been there, but as a company i needed to attend beaulieu.

dont take it to heart if the numbers were down, it will be down to many different things like beaulieu, silverstone, even the cost of fuel and living. i understand beaulieu had 180 cars booked, we counted the rows and that looked more like 150 actually attending. were as 250 was banded about for last year.

AGAIN, this is nothing that was done wrong by the organisers etc, there was alot on that weekend. and alot of expence in peoples lives at the moment.

hopefully some of this will change next year, when everyone has had the 100% payrise to keep up with the cost of living. "SORRY but that also includes me having to double prices to keep up Angel"

all i hope, is many of those 400,000 at silverstone who were scratching there heads wondering why those old bangers were on the track. and when they got home hopefully some googled what they were.

and when i say bangers, its what people would think if they dont know whats in front of them. each and every car was actually in beautiful condition. i dont clean my car much. but i noticed they all sparkled.

tony
Why don't we compile a list of the runners to add to the youtube coverage comments?

i.e. things broadly interpretative/helpful to viewers...
MANSELL and then NORRIS in supercharged TT recreated in original Austin racing colours in X
Y in Grasshopper, built in Z towards end of Austin competitive activity
ALBON in Mulliner Sports (year) fabric bodied, X survivors
Z in Austin 7 Special body created in 1960s, on Austin 7 chassis
and so on

someone could download and add screen subtitles over the original film snippets; not sure on legal situation with that but if credited appropriately, is anyone actually going to care?
hi jonE,

anyone is welcome to do that, but personally im not bothered.

i think the point is the PUNCH was missed.

tony
(05-07-2022, 08:38 AM)JonE Wrote: Steve and Tony, if we worried too much about contemplating others' realities and life views, we'd all go mad. Even if the message WAS perfect as a result of bringing all those other cogs in the drivetrain into harmony, you still have the users who have to make any conscious attempt receive it all let alone process it! Much social media improves the lot of the poster in the short term, but not if they consciously think about whether any reaction was 'real'; it relies mostly on people waiting for a suitable new gap to talk rather than any desire to listen.
I would have thought that all the rich, fabulous things 'the many' have seen over the last few days will filter down in ways that we may not initially realise. From those who additionally experienced through touch and smell, there must be at least one of those F1 drivers who will eventually end up with a Seven in their stable. Just think what that could do.

Kevin Magnussen drove David Lewis' PD tourer in the parade and apparently thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so you never know...
The commentary did mention the 100th anniversary - though the full extent of what was said is not known (does anyone know?). It's a good job that Ian Dunford wasn't watching, as Carlos Sainz climbed out of the Chummy, the interviewer said "... and Carlos Sainz saying thank you and farewell to his classic car driver..."
Ian dislikes the expression "classic car".