The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo identification
as said before, the numbers signifying build date and the Lucas model are under the thick gloopy paint. It probably has the original paint finish under, if you go careful with a wire brush wheel.
I don't recognise the dynamo.
On the DEL the end casting that has the dynamo housing is one-piece aluminium.
The one in your picture seems to be two parts, the brushes carrier and distributor mounting.
May well be equivalent however.
Jim
As said previously, the only way you're going to identify your dynamo properly is to remove the paint adjacent to the connector post. Here's one I've just done that to and you can see the various markings. The DEL dynamo can have either a steel or aluminium end plate, earlier, aluminium, later steel. In the case of this one, steel.

Steve
Ok
I’ve scraped it off and can see “DEL” faintly 
I can also see 39 which matches the engine number year of manufacture however I didn’t think they were available that late
What do you think ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-07-2022, 04:20 PM)AustinWood Wrote: I don't recognise the dynamo.
On the DEL the end casting that has the dynamo housing is one-piece aluminium.
The one in your picture seems to be two parts, the brushes carrier and distributor mounting.
May well be equivalent however.

There are two variants of CAV DEL; the short armature and the long armature. Both of these were 4 pole machines with the half-charge resistor built into the field winding.

The short armature dates from the first coil engines of 1928 to December 1929. The end casing was fabricated as shown in the picture and the armature shaft is shorter than later versions. The picture shows a short armature CAV DEL.

The DEL long armature dynamo featured an end casing cast in one piece, with a longer armature and one piece field casing. This machine gradually morphed into the Lucas C35A, which was a two pole dynamo fitted from 1931 onwards.
I'm presuming Steve's pic is dated Dec '30 from the stamp - see what yours says, k82, in the same location, from Parazine's date range above...
(05-07-2022, 07:38 AM)JonE Wrote: I'm presuming Steve's pic is dated Dec '30 from the stamp - see what yours says, k82, in the same location, from Parazine's date range above...

Correct, 12 30 represents December 1930.  Unless the dynamo was a late manufactured spare, the 8 39 in the OP's picture is probably a red herring.....
All my DEL dynamos (and all my DEL dynamo cases) have the date stamped as '12 30' is in my photo.

Steve
Parazine, were your date stamps all at the lower edge? Mine here is 10 28... in that position, so Steve's are obviously all late.
Will be interesting to hear the result on the OPs early one from lower down the case!
So
I think that’s all the info on the Dynamo for someone clever enough to read it

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)