The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo identification
December 1928. I wonder if the '8 39' is the date the dynamo was serviced or repaired by a Lucas Agent/Depot and 3046 a reference for that?

Steve
where that 8 39 is, I've got tattier stamping at right angles to the main 'menu', so I reckon you are correct... mine was obviously backstreet garage!
Many thanks Jon and Steve
Interesting re the refurb date
So
I still need to test the resistance values and see if the resistor is intact if you could advise on that
Also I still need a CF1 cutout ?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just a word of warning. Unless you like complicated reassembly problems, don't attempt to take the Lucas PLC switch apart, but if you do, do it in a plastic bag. It will do an impression of the "Big Bang" .
I’ve done it already
Strong hands and heavy duty plastic bag required
As I have been sorting Autojumble for the centenary event, for the sake of completeness, here are the two CAV DEL dynamos together:

The long armature is on the left and the short armature right. You may be able to make out the cylindrical case on the short armature is fabricated from two parts as well as the fabricated end cap. Production engineering was in its infancy in the late 1920's but someone worked out it was a lot cheaper to produce the later machine no doubt.
Thank you for that very clear Master Class in recognising and dating dynamos
(13-07-2022, 10:15 AM)Parazine Wrote: As I have been sorting Autojumble for the centenary event, for the sake of completeness, here are the two CAV DEL dynamos together:

The long armature is on the left and the short armature right. You may be able to make out the cylindrical case on the short armature is fabricated from two parts as well as the fabricated end cap. Production engineering was in its infancy in the late 1920's but someone worked out it was a lot cheaper to produce the later machine no doubt.

Hi Parazine

Does the two part case mean you can inspect and remove the distributor drive gear without disturbing the brushes?

Cheers

Howard
Great info
Mine is a short armature
Many thanks

I’m looking to swap mine for a good / recon latest dynamo if anyone is interested
Hmm good question. It's a few years since I stripped and rebuilt one of these but as I remember it, the dismantling procedure was different to the C35A/M variants that we are all more familiar with. I think removal of the smaller end casing reveals the drive gear but what was entailed in that removal, I can't remember off hand!