The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reflectors
I have always thought that rear red reflectors were a legal requirement on our cars. However, I have just become the owner of a 1935 APD that does not have them fitted.

Am I breaking the law? Or have I been misinformed for all these years?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations:
If a motor vehicle is fitted with lights then it must have:
Two front lights, two rear lights, two red reflectors (rear)
Plus, a matched pair of headlamps, either dipping or permanently set not to dazzle. Front sidelights can be separate or incorporated in the headlamps. It's ALL or nothing -

The requirements do not apply to a vehicle which either is not fitted with any system of lighting, or has ALL the lights covered or blanked off so they cannot be immediately used. Such use may only take place during "daylight" hours, providing visibility is not reduced (eg fog).

Stop lights, either two or (before 1971) one.

Indicators, flashing or semaphore need not be fitted but if they are they must operate correctly.

The Road Vehicles Registration & Licensing Regulations also require that the number plate is illuminated during the hours of darkness.

SEE: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspecti...tion-4-2-1
If you plan on taking the car out between sunset and sunrise, then yes it needs reflectors - 2 of them.

If your not, then it doesn't necessarily need them, provided you also don't have front and rear position lamps.

A lamp is not a 'lamp' in law, if it has no wiring, so they don't 'have' to work.

You just have to read and understand the exemptions - Section 4.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989...tents/made

The schedules tell you where they should be fitted.

There is some discussion about lamps that are in themselves reflective also acting as reflectors. My understanding is that if the vehicle that has been fitted with them needed to be 'type approved' and has been type approved with such lamps then this is all well and good, but if not, seperate reflectors are the order of the day.

That being said, I can assure you that Plod, generally has no idea as to what is legal and what isn't, which is rather worrying.
Thanks, guys, for your comprehensive answers. Looks like another trip to Jamie at the Seven Workshop!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
As the chances of plod knowing or even bothering if they did are zero, if it were mine I'd not bother and keep it original (unless you intend to use it in the dark). A well-known, recently-completed restoration of a '24 Pram Hood retains just the one rear light and looks wonderful like that......
I have to agree with Tony that seeing original cars with the original lighting set up is great, however, if like me, you are using the car regularly, particularly at night, I would recommend two rear lamps and two properly mounted and angled reflectors.

Just my tuppence worth...
(21-06-2022, 01:47 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I have to agree with Tony that seeing original cars with the original lighting set up is great, however, if  like me, you are using the car regularly, particularly at night, I would recommend two rear lamps and two properly mounted and angled reflectors.

Just my tuppence worth...

I agree - at night you do need the best rear lighting possible. I know someone who uses their Box a great deal - and he attaches a trailer lighting board to the spare wheel.
Is this my 24 tourer to which you refer?  I have one rear light (great, and it passed its MOT at the time) but two wing mounted reflectors.  So originality prevails......then does not!  The side light issue is interesting.  Side lights are for street parking when there are no street lamps.  Who would do that with their Seven?  I have converted my Pearl side lights with orange bulbs and a flasher unit.  Looks and works great.  I suppose I could fit reflectors into the headlamps which carry a side light facility, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
The legal terminology is front ( or rear) position lights. You have to have two of each. They can either be independent of the headlights or integral. If you convert sidelights on the front wings to indicators then legally speaking you should have either another pair of front position lamps or headlights with an integral front position lamp. The requirement for what us oldies called a parking light has been repealed. There us no need for lights to be left on a parked vehicle, providing the speed limit is 30 or less and you're not within 15m of a road junction. In other circumstances you must display lights, two front two rear and be parked on the correct side of the road.
(21-06-2022, 02:59 PM)Robin Oldfield Wrote:  Side lights are for street parking .....

Side lights are also for driving at night in town, in a 30 limit.