The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A gathering of Sevens
The delights of modern technology when it works, allow this picture taken in Hertfordshire to reach the forum via Seattle and a holiday cottage in Yorkshire. Being in Yorkshire, naturally there are frequent road signs informing the passing traveller that Jowett Car Club is the oldest one make car club in the world, indeed probably in the universe. Which makes this gathering in St Albans very interesting. Inevitably a first question is what were they doing? A highly trained team of researchers have immediately searched to see if any cars survive, and if they do they are unknown to Swansea. Acknowledgments to Jayne and Ian Grace, to David Cochrane and to one of the most esteemed editors outside Yorkshire, Mike Tebbett. So it's over to you. I have bought Julian Hunt on holiday, well his famous book, so now I must plan the day's visits to hillclimbs. Generally old chaps leaning over field gates flag you down, and assure the passing historian that their grandad had always said that the  1909 Grindleford Bridge hillclimb was not only the most exciting motor sporting event in the whole of Europe, but that Sheffield Simplex should have continued to make the fastest cars were not the regs changed by cheating Southerners and event organisers in Lancashire.

The car on the left is an RL saloon, registered in August 1930; it and the sports 2-seater (Taylor?) two cars along both carry the badge of the Austin 7 Club, so it's probably a club outing, maybe in 1930 or perhaps 1931?

.jpg   1926 Austin Seven Car Club Badge.JPG (Size: 191.68 KB / Downloads: 294)
Is that a Setter sitting in the passenger seat of HC? No survivors (Association list) for those plates we can see.
David Howe has confirmed the identity of the Taylor (he has other photos of UL 6020) , and also the date of the event: 12th April 1931.
it never matters the age of any picture of an austin 7 gethering, because you always get a lovely scattering of car models. saloons, tourers etc etc. lovely picture.

and lovely badge mike.

ive not seen that one before. love the relation of the badge to the red triangle that used to be on so many sevens.

tony
More shots of the Taylor.
 Camping at Lulworth cove and cooking lunch near Newquay both 1930.

What lovely photos, and amazing to be able to tie up with the holiday photos of the Taylor!

Just to the left of this photo is Market Place. I seem to remember Malcolm Marsh telling me that his Chummy van was owned from new by a cobbler who had his shop there. Had the photo been taken from the other direction we may have got a glimpse of that too!