The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Dog Threads
Hello. Ive foolishly started fixing my fathers chummy and the problem is that the starter dog nut won’t go into the threads on the end of the crank. The reason this has happened is because the threads removed themselves from the nut and have welded themselves into the end of the crank. I have since found the correct taps but they don’t seem to be taking to the cranks. Is this because I have a phoenix crank that has been hardened? Do I need HSS taps? Is the hole now to small? Oo forgot to mention, it’s a mag engine. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Hello Wilfred
To the best of my knowledge the thread is a non standard 5/8 x 16 Whitform so not BSF. If you have the correct tap it should clean out the thread of a hardened crank.
However, I have had a Phoenix crank in the past that had an under size thread in the nose. I had to screwcut the starter dog under size to get it to fit.
Hope that helps.
Adrian.
Mag starter dogs need to be altered to fit into a Phoenix crankshaft.

You need to waste the threads nearest the front.
Is only a little reduction in diameter necessary? Might running a thread chaser of the right pitch and angle (55 degrees) up and down the starter dog thread work? You'd need a lathe of course to do the job. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361933697232

.jpeg   E39E9522-87C0-40FB-B7A8-BCF737999B4A_1_105_c.jpeg (Size: 73.44 KB / Downloads: 245)

.jpeg   598EE2EC-521D-4656-8852-9E54D648FE22_1_105_c.jpeg (Size: 78.28 KB / Downloads: 246)

A perfect explanation with all the essential pictures. Thanks you for taking the time and trouble to post.
I hear you Tony, Smile