The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Dynamo
Just trying to replace the Dynamo on my Ruby.
For some reason just can’t get the gears to mesh 
Any tips before I have to remove the housing
Do you have a photo of the end of your dynamo ? Is the oil thrower in the right place behind the gear ?? Is it the same dynamo that came off that engine ?
Is it a late dynamo with a tapered end casting or an early one with a slot milled in the end casting to clear the drive housing long bolt? If the latter you have to remove that long bolt.
Thanks gents
It’s the original Dynamo
Has been fitted previously
Probably due to my incompetence I can’t manoeuvre it exactly to engage the drive
Looks like I need to strip the radiator etc to get access and remove the alloy housing
Hi

You may find that the bottom hose is preventing it fully engaging.  Often straight hoses are very stiff and the dynamo needs some persuasion to push the hose down enough to get the bolts in.

Cheers

Howard
This may seem a silly suggestion but have you tried slowly rotating the armature whilst inserting unto the housing to make sure it is meshing with the camshaft gear.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Success
It was exactly as you said Dave.
Removed the long bolt and couldn’t be easier
Dave you need a commendation
Thanks to all for helping
Dynamo is even charging
Yippee

As you probably all know the Dynamo can be extracted with the long bolt fitted
This is what I could not understand
I've been caught out by that bolt Tiger, in fact I fitted a similar dynamo to a friends Ruby this week and was surprised That I didn't need to remove the bolt.