The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door safety latch
(06-06-2022, 10:43 AM)JonE Wrote: For the woodie I tried these but didn't use them: https://www.kennedyhardware.com/brass-wi...latch.html
But it feels like they need a sash clamping effect otherwise there is no rigidity in the door and other structure?

These sort of things would be up to the job.. and pretty reasonable.
https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/f...catch-stay

The standard Australian Holden 1920's Chummy body was usually fitted with the 'Freeman Catch'  (only the very flash bodies had a door handle) 

I note OOS  Undecided
My holden body chummy has had the sash window latches since before I bought it in 62, although in steel. Works perfectly.
Hi Nick and others

The cheapo eBay catches arrived this morning.  They aren’t the best quality in the World.  The chrome plate has been applied to unpolished steel and is probably quite thin.  The mechanism looks OK if not a little stiff.

However for what you pay and what I’m using them for (supplementary door catches on the Special) they will do 

.jpeg   FD4A232C-AB86-4330-BEEB-B3AEC5A58322.jpeg (Size: 130.29 KB / Downloads: 138)
.jpeg   E5541C65-B9E7-4AE3-BAD3-16F758B76C10.jpeg (Size: 133.34 KB / Downloads: 137)  

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard. Do they have a 'click' action at 90 degrees or do they simply rotate?

I have found some very cheap brass catches at Toolstation and will report on them tomorrow.
Hi Nick

90 degree click action which is quite stiff but is loosening up with use.

Cheers

Howard
I have tried this, from Toolstation. The tongue of the latch is approx 2 cms long.

.jpg   catch.JPG (Size: 38.47 KB / Downloads: 63)

This is a temporary fixing until I get a suitable piece of brass to mount the catch on. Works well.

Living in a big old Victorian house with a lot of sash windows (39 pairs to be exact) means I have a good selection of window catches in the garage collected over the years from various sources.

Seems to be lots of variations but none of the new repro ones look quite as nice as the old ones. (Repro on far right).

The beehive and acorn ones are lovely but might be just the right height to bang your knees on!