The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor interchangeability
Hi All

In my spares shed I have a very ropy 1929/32 starter (forward facing) and two equally ropy 1932/39 starters (rear facing).

I’m hoping to refurbish the early starter as a spare (it will fit both my RK and my special). I’ve already established that the long through bolts are interchangeable (which suggests that the body of both types is the same).

Could anyone please let me know if any other parts are interchangeable (especially interested in the armature). 

Cheers

Howard
Hi All

Thought I’d answer my own query seeing as no one else did Big Grin.

I found this article which explains the interchangeable nature of starters.

https://www.ba7c.org/pdf/technicalDocume...929-32.pdf

Thanks Ray!

I’ve spent the day cleaning up my old CAV starter, fitting a new clip and then installing the armature from a spare later starter I had.  New brushes and it spins nicely on the bench.

Hope this helps others?

Cheers

Howard
hi howard,

i had quite a few of the starters rebuilt with jim at classic and vintage. until we sadly lost him earlier in the year.

i found a high number of the 1930-1931 were cracking across the front mounting flange, between the long bolts threads.

we couldnt just swap the flange, because they are different.

so the front flange and armature were both swapped, then they could be fitted.

its the windings on the outer case that decide dirrection the starter spins.

there is just one beware though.

if you look at both armatures, one set of windingd lean left, the other right. (we had ONE set of windings come loose from the armature) because they are being thrown the wrong way.

tony
That is all really interesting, both. Thanks.
So the fact that the replacement armature is going to be going to other way... nothing one can do other than remember that it could be an issue at some point? Presumably also another reason for staying with 6V perhaps.
Hi Tony

Thanks for the comments. Very useful.  I did swap both flange and armature together as Ray Moses’s article also notes that the older flange may be cracked.

This is a spare starter so hopefully won’t get too much use. I’ll watch out for the windings coming loose if I use it.

Cheers

Howard
Hi jonE,

I only had one that had a problem.

But yes, if the motor is spinning faster on 12 volts. The centrifugal force would give a higher chance of the windings being thrown out.

Howard, it's always handy to have a spare.

Several years ago, I went to start the supersports. And smoke came out of the starter. I dont use the handle on the pressure nose. And had to pinch one of another car, as I didnt have a proper spare. Then swapped them back once it came back from a rebuild.

Tony.