The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with a half shaft/hub
New owner, only collected the car yesterday.

In an attempt to remove the hub with a hub puller tool, I have instead pushed the half shaft inwards towards the diff. The hub will not come off and nor will it rotate anymore.

Does anyone know what I should do next to rectify the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Hub 'Puller' is, actually, a Half Shaft 'Pusher' and, therefore, it's done exactly what it's designed to do. The hub won't turn because the diff is locked by the action of pushing the half shaft into it. The hub outer should now be removable but is, probably, stuck to the hub inner. A little gentle persuasion between the two should solve the problem but be careful as it is possible to distort the hub flange if you attack the junction of the inner and outer hubs too enthusiastically. In this situation, place a suitable sized nut into the hole in the end of the hub outer, re-fit your puller/pusher and continue to tighten and you should find the two halves of the hub separate.

Steve
Great, thank you. I’ll go try that now! Thanks for the advice.
Dumb question maybe, but I hope you are using an Austin 7 hub puller not a three legged puller which will never work. There is a bearing inside the hub that retains the inner portion, you need to remove the outer half first then remove the big bearing retaining nut.
Black Art Enthusiast
Using a nut as a spacer worked a treat, it is now free.

Thanks for the suggestion. ?