The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low charging generator
My generator appears to have a charging problem in that it is only putting out about 2 to 2.5 volts. Pulled the inspection cover and the brushes appear to be new.  Cutout functions. ANY IDEAS?  Arnie
The cut out will not function at 2-3 volts. Disconnect both leads at"D" and "F" terminals on dynamo. Bridge the "D" and "F" terminals with a short cable. Run the engine, dynamo should produce 7.5 volts. If it only produces 1.5 -3 volts, fault is in field circuit in dynanamo. If dynamo produces 7.5 volts, fault is in wiring or cut out.
Presumably mean amps? Is it a first run or just occurred? Is the wirng somehow configured so the summer resistor remains in and unbridged? Shorting F and D as above but keeping dyn connected should produce full amps.
As I am electrically challenged, I will disconnect both wires and create a bridge.After that I assume I need to connect a multimeter to see what the output actually is. Photo f my generator attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It is a 1933ish 35A dynamo. One wire is the Field and one the output, fathomable by removing hte cover. The output goes dirct to a large brush. The coiled resistor if inatct feeds a reduced voltage to the the field for Summer. For Winter, lights on etc, the dashboard switch directly links the two wires, assuming the field wire is continuous to that point.
Apart from brief testing the dyn must not be run without the external connection (eventually to battery thru operated cutout)
Thanks for the replies.  Is it possible that the two wire are switched?. I rewired the entire car as it was when I purchased it last Fall. It took me all Winter to bring the car back from the DEAD as so much questionable  work had been done on it during the prior owners "RESTORATION".
Hello
Not sure if your Dynamo has worked for you earlier
If it is some time since working it will probably need polarising.
There are lots of post to help with this and other charging faults on the forum.
However lots of info. I used is from the Cornish Austin Site find through Google
Also Harry Hales produced a marvellous booklet also on the forum.

Happy to help further if you need it.
Regards
Tim
Here's the link to the Cornwall Austin Seven Club's Technical Articles / Electrical and Ignition.

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Articles/#Electrical