The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral issues of stripping a Seven trailer
I took on a tatty A7-axled trailer as it was local. I think it would have likely ended up at the skip but I had to pay for it and the wheels that I thought warranted purchase weren't great on inspection! Assessing the build, the upper woodwork was nothing exceptional and after re-advertising for practically nothing hoping that it might find a permanent home for continued use, realised it wasn't going to be wanted just because of distance for anyone who thought it was a good project. Thus I started to disassemble and it has a nice assembly of bracketry to allow a floating twin longditudinal springing on plates welded to the Seven axle top. And a separate tow hitch mechanism bolted to a well constructed A frame front.

I now find the axle wasn't merely strengthened but had been widened by 6" or so, as well as having nicely fitted side plates to isolate the stub axles and hold them straight.

Plainly I can try and unknit the stub axles for re-use but does this axle have any conceivable use for anything before I do so? It would be nice to get it into continued use before I destroy it forever. Any one working on a six wheeler?
Likewise, if anyone can suggest any direction the frame might be re-used in, otherwise it will get checked in for scrap before long.
Jon

Over the years as a scrap man, father chopped up many trailers like this, saving only the stub axles, hubs, drums & wheels if they were interesting and saleable.

The rest went in the scrap.

Interestingly most of the 6inch drum Austin 7 axles father had through his hands were all ex trailer.