The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas and Ignition levers on steering wheel
I realise that in the 7 years I have had Alice I have not questioned the setting of the steering wheel controls, just occasionally used them.

Allied to my question about compression testing I am checking the static timing and fuel mixture. What position should the ignition lever be in when the static timing is set ? (currently appears to be close to the mid-point). How should the gas lever be used in use. Not as a cruise control I’m guessing. Should the engine be advanced for starting? Should one fiddle with timing on the move?
I set the ignition timing with the hand control about mid point. Then take out No 1 plug and turn the engine over with a thumb over the hole to identify the compression stroke. Set the piston at the top of the stroke and adjust the distributer so that the rotor arm points to no 1 cylinder and the contact points are just opening.
The Seven engine will start if the ignition is approximately right.
Adjust the timing using the steering column lever to find a place where the engine runs best. Fine tune while driving. If it's too far retarded the engine won't rev freely and will sound flat. If it's too far advance it will sound harsh.
I don't alter the timing for starting but do adjust it whilst driving depending on conditions/speed etc.
The hand throtle is usefull for setting a higher tickover when the engine is cold.
In the days (1960s) when I used to drive the A1 from Hertfordshire to Edinburgh I often set the hand throttle fully open on the dual carriageways. This enabled me to put my feet on the top of the gearbox where it was warmer in winter.
Jim
From a middle setting on the control where the car pulls well - but without the death rumble from the cranks - to what sounds like more power but isn't, is only perhaps 20 degrees on the hand control. The only way of finding the best setting is to experiment on a flat road where you can see if an extra 1 mph can be persuaded out of it - and mark that position.  If you have electronic ignition, it's surprising how much retard it will take to get a soft-sounding motor and yet reasonable power.
Thank you both for your advice. I will leave as it is for now. As I said it appears to be statically timed with steering wheel switch set in the centre. I will have a play on the road to see the effect. Given that later Sevens had an automatic advance I am not too sure that I understand where my DJ4 car is deficient in timing.
Thanks again