The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another replica
(11-05-2022, 10:30 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Whilst we are on the subject of definition, I am always annoyed when our cars are referred to as “classics” when they are “vintage”. There is also the “veteran or vintage” misuse  Angry.

Cheers

Howard

Well technically two of mine are Post-Vintage, but who wants to split hairs?

The meaning of vintage has been lost due to the morons on the TV, everything old now seems to be 'vintage'.

The other term that annoys is 'Cottage'. To me a small rural dwelling, often single story, minimum amount of rooms. The sort of property an old couple would live in by themselves. My great uncle and Aunt lived in 'Rose Cottage' Cilcain. A single story property. 3 or 4 rooms in total. 

Again on TV every house in the rural countryside seems to be a 'Cottage'. 3 and 4 bedroom ones included!.
Shall we re-open Pedants' corner?
(11-05-2022, 12:21 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Shall we re-open Pedants' corner?

Did it ever close?
Jenks had a very blinkered view of the old car world. Assuming his competition car got used in an event, then I can understand him starting the ball rolling with 'original' being a bit of a unicorn. But in the wider universe there are plenty of examples which qualify for his 'original' label. I know of two cars local to me - an Austin Maxi and a Rover-BRM - which each have delivery mileage recorded and have never been so much as started-up since first purchase. Neither have been registered for the road and both, I bet, still have the original air in their tyres (if there's any left, they're both on axle stands)!

And I don't have a problem with the wider use of the vintage term - Vintage with a capital V is another matter!
The postie has just delivered the latest Private Eye, and Pseud’s Corner includes nothing about motor cars, old or even brand new like a certain ERA. There is however a small piece about motor sport, and the name of the race in Miami being “Crypto.com Miami Grand Prix.” Blimey, don’t see a lot of that at Curborough.
Talking of fakes, who remembers Sir Peter Ustinov's spoof Grand Prix of Gibraltar from 1958, featuring Von Grips, Fandango, Foss and others.
A " must " listen to.
Oh dear, now numbers of people will realise where some of us elderlies are pinching "nazze blassen schnell!" from. Sorry about the German. Anyone remember Autosport's Formule Libre Grand Prix Bahamas, maybe 1969/1970? Should be doing serious admin, but such distractions at the keyboard.
isnt post vintage, really pre-war?

personally i think its all ridiculas, 

especially having to try and remember that long list of dribble. to find out if your car is remamufactured or a special.

lets just call it all evocation Huh although ive not seen that in the auctions for a wile.

tony
I do rather like Peter Ustinov, unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to listen to a whole hour, but I will try again later!