The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil levels
Wow Nick and Tony

I was temporarily excommunicated for less heretical statements than that. From post war, garages filled diffs and gearboxes of everything and anything (including unfortunately Puegeots) extensively with EP at least into the 70s, and I suspect the older EPs were more active. Has anyone ever reported a collapsed bronze bearing cage or other "evidence." 
My car was run on EP, although not alwys in the gearbox. Diligent book levels did lead to troubles. Probably the greatest single improvemnt was a modern seal for front of gearbox.
Great drawing. I was always impressed by the Seven box. Had a lot to do with Jowett Javelins, an expensive car new, but if an outsider toolmaker compared the innards of the gearboxes the Seven would appear the one from the expensive car. Many have all original bits except bearings at 150,000 or more, unheard of with Javelins.
The best gear oil we have found for 3 or 4spd boxes is a GL4 75/90 as it's a light gear oil the actual viscosity is 30/40 it's available in semi or fully Synthetic the fully Synthetic we use for racing due to the high temperatures the race boxes generate. The semi for general use, you only need 1pt -1/2ltr in a 4spd box both 3 and 4spd benefit from having a seal fitted to the front cover.
Terry.        
Hi Terry,

Out of interest, what's the specification number of the oil seal fitted to the front cover ?
    Nitrile seal  187x112x25  for race boxes due to high temp and hi revs use a Viton seal from Simply Bearings CR 11208.  Terry.