The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin in a van?
I have just sold my Ruby based special and the new owner would like to collect it in the back of a van if possible.
Would anybody have any experience of what van is required for it to fit please?
I have a vague recollection of seeing one in the back of a Mercedes Sprinter but as with most of my memories
it is pretty vague.
Many thanks for your time.
Graham.
I think you have to make sure it doesn’t have twin rear wheels as the inner arches get in the way. I put
mine in a Luton bodied Transit with a tail lift but you have to a bit creative lifting it on!
Thank you Ivor, I'll pass that on.
I've put my Speedy in a Mercedes Sprinter. Just have to lift front wings over wheel arch (extra wood blocks).

Martin
Thank you Martin, I'm passing all the info onto him.
Peter Naulls has posted a picture of the Highland Special in the back of a van on the "Manifold Question" thread.
I regularly use my Mercedes Sprinter (MWB, high roof) to transport Austin 7's. I've had Chummy, Top Hat, Box tourer, Box saloon (swb, lwb) and a Sports 65 inside. Not yet tried a Ruby type, which might be tight on the width.

Big 7 probably won't fit  Undecided
We use a LWB medium-roof Transit to carry all models of Austin Seven.  With saloons, we usually replace the car's back wheels with a scrap tyre-less pair, as the clearance under the van's door catch is tight.  A Ruby will fit between the wheel arches with a few inches to spare.

Sorry, the picture's turned itself on its side, for reasons unknown!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is a high-top long wheelbase VW Crafter.

Just a word of warning from me, I fetched my Chummy in a hired LWB transit, pulled it in using two rat shit straps up two long 8 x 2 oak planks I have, sat on the OEM step. Easy as. Strapped it to the floor mounted rings around the axle, etc etc No problems at all, went like clockwork.

When I came to unload, I made the mistake of using the handbrake as it came down the ramps, this had the effect in that it pulled the planks off the step, and they dropped to the floor with the car still on them (and me in it). This was quite exciting to say the least.

Thankfully the front wheels were at least 1/2 way down the ramp when it happened so no damage done. But had I have done it just as the wheels got onto the ramp It could have caught the wings etc on the step.

So strap your makeshift ramps to the van on unloading!