The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first of this year's bank holiday questions
Ruby has been behaving impeccably of late, miles being flown along painlessly. Then yesterday in the course of thirty or so miles, graunching noises appeared initially on sharp right handers and then became more frequent when braking. My first assumption was a problem with ns front brakes[, so this morning took off wheels & brake drums. First three inspections revealed no problems, then ns rear shows pivot pin sticking out. Little clearance between pin and bearing. What ever has caused this, how many people have seen it often before, and what is the solution? The books suggest that it should be a rivetted pin, although there are flats on the head. 

And now I am being called in to breakfast, after which there will be family visits and most important, swapping of vital bits of Austin Seven tools and equipment at Curborough. 

attachment=17791]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve, I recently had this problem with my Ruby. The bearing was ok so just had a couple of weld tacks put n the back to keep it in. Early days as yet but no problems so far.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Steve,
Just in case you are not aware, I believe that replacement pivots with a threaded end and retaining nut are still available from our suppliers. I have successfully used them over the years, however it is worth Loctiting them in place as resonance can cause the nut to slightly loosen which in turn can lead to a grabbing brake.
Regards,

Paul Cooper.
The before breakfast job was an initial check on the brake pivot. Lo and behold, it is a threaded pivot pin and yes it was merely finger tight, or loose. Loctite and a spanner and I can only hope the problem is solved. I am also very grateful that the slight fouling of the bearing gave such audible warning, just a fraction more clearance and the pivot pin could have come out, with unfortunate results. Now all should be ready for the Marches Efficiency Run, on Thursday. The complicated calculations of engine size/weight/nominal hp might see Sevens triumphant. There are still places available, so any Seven owner within reach of Leominster and who can take Thursday off should immediately contact Ian Goddard on iangoddard5@btinternet.com. Following circulation of the recent youtube regarding TV interference, organiser Ian has told us that scrutineers will have plugged a black & white TV into a nearby lamp post to check entrant's suppressors.