The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy fuel tank
Does anyone know if a chummy fuel tank has a metal gauze cover over the outlet as there is on box saloon rear mounted tanks 
Thanks in advance 
Cheers 
Roger
hi roger,

ive had cut open D tanks in the past, and non had gauze over the outlet.

i have the front from a 1923 in the shed, and there is no gauze on that either.

you should have the gauze insert in the top of the tank, and there is a very small gauze thimble in the bottom of the FZ22 carb, under the slow running jet.

tony
Thanks Tony
I have the wire gauze (course and fine gauze) in the D tank fillers but have to remove them when filling at the pump. Sad  

I assume the pumps have a good filter anyway  Smile
yep,

i have to do that as well tony.

running a 30 mov with no filters AT ALL. tank or carb. and it hasnt blocked yet. 

so modern fuel must be up to it.

tony.
Perhaps a little 'off piste' as this thread is concerned with scuttle tank cars and my RP is, of course rear tank, I would nevertheless comment as follows:-

About three years ago, shortly after I acquired my car, I had the tank professionally cleaned out and the  outlet gauze was removed as it had become holey and was simply trapping rust flakes below it. Its continued presence would also have made sealing the inside of the tank somewhat problematical.

A short time later, still being plagued by  fuel starvation on long second gear hills, which are common in this neck of the woods, I replaced the front to rear fuel pipe. Having no spare inline fuel filter to replace the one on  the old pipework, I simply coupled the new pipe to the tail to the inlet side of the pump with a short piece of hose, meaning to replace it with a new filter, which, as with many of these things, never got done.

As many of you may know, my Seven is very much a working vehicle and does anything up to 5000 miles a year, mostly on mundane running that I no longer mention in these annals at the risk of becoming a bore. For instance, yesterday, the little car was driven to the horses (who are now this side of the mountains at Llandderfel) and on to Wrexham to drop off a friend of my great grandson, who had stayed for a few days, at the railway station to catch his train home, before wandering off to work, a round trip of about 80 miles.

Since I have replaced the fuel line, despite the lack of an inline filter and relying solely on the gauze filters in the pump and carburetor, I have not had any further difficulty with fuel starvation and, when the gauzes have been dismantled during routine maintenance, there is very little 'crud' in the well of the pump and none in the carb itself. One is driven to the conclusion therefore, that either the fuel is very well filtered before delivery or that the gauzes are doing their job.
The vintage chummy tanks have no filter. The updraught Zenith carburetor has a filter in the bottom of the float chamber held in the Brass inlet union. Originally this brass but if it's missing A7 Components offers a modern plastic replacement.
Jim