The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake ratchet claw
Hello all, not quite sure of the correct terminology but I've lost the part of the handbrake lever that engages with the ratchet and holds in place. It appears to have sheared off the threaded end and presumably bounced off down the road somewhere.

Does anyone supply this part new? Googling hasn't turned up anything obvious but I'm not sure if I'm using the right term for it.

Many thanks!
I think it's called a pawl.
A way of completely eliminating any uncertainty over a specific part is to refer to the Parts Lists on the Archive web site. So, for example, one could say I need part BK74 on page 36 of Parts List 888a (if indeed, that is what you seek..)

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_888A.pdf
so its like a big tooth enclosed with a shaped thin metal bit it slides in? Someone on ebay in ?Bexhill or E Sussex somewhere was doing the metal surrounds which split in the corners.
Handbrake pawls were available from John Barlow and also David Cochrane, I think.

There are two sizes.
Not difficult to make as long as you have a suitable piece of metal.

Steve
I had a few from JB some years ago, but he hasn't had them for at least 6 years. I think the earlier cars had smaller pawls than the later cars. According to the Lists of Spare Parts there were 3 types:
BK6 to 670A, May 1929,
BK41 670B, Nov 1929 to 670F, June 1931,
BK74 from 670F, June 1931.
Many thanks all for the replies - it's a 1924 car that it's for but looks like I might be able to copy the one off my chummy if I can't track down one ready to go.
I noted the pawl housing on eBay, and mine is damaged which I assume caused it to fail in the first place, but I think mine should be repairable all being well
And there are two different threads in the Pawl.
Here's a pawl at the end of its life (but note the extra-strong - home-made I believe - surrounding metal).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)