The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand throttle sensitivity
Hi all,

I'm having lots of fun learning about the Zenith 22FZ on my special... I'm having a bunch of challenges, which I'm working through.
One of these is that the hand throttle seems to give way too much adjustment - if I set it up to be tickover when warm to be right at the top of adjustment, the bottom position must be about 6000rpm (without load).
This makes it tricky to set the tickover during warming up, leading to embarrassment at the traffic lights - either stalling, or over-revving!

The thing is, I can't see any way of altering the "amplitude" of the effect of the steering wheel lever on the throttle - so, are they all like this, or is something awry with the linkage? #
Bits of the linkage are somewhat non standard (I think they're just bent galvo wire...) but the key bits seem standard....

Cheers,

James
It’s possible James that you have the ignition and gas levers reversed, that would certainly “over gear” the hand throttle, particularly as the rods have been replaced.
My hand throttle will give tickover to full throttle on a standard 1933/34 set up.
(26-04-2022, 09:19 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: It’s possible James that you have the ignition and gas levers reversed, that would certainly “over gear” the hand throttle, particularly as the rods have been replaced.

Short lever to the ignition

Long lever to the throttle.
Is the hand throttle just for tickover ?? On occasion, I use mine for long slow hills in second.
The long lever does indeed go to the throttle, which is correct it would seem.
I'd have thought that if they were reversed, the throttle travel would be reduced, which would be good, but I won't mess with it - it sounds like the hand throttle is as it should be - I just have great difficulty controlling the tickover, which is a touch embarrassing in traffic, especially as she's not keen to start when properly warm.
Hi James

Perhaps the throttle cross shaft has been altered?

It should cross the vehicle and provide a similar length of arm as provided by the lever at the accelerator pedal end.  If it has been made longer then you would have more travel on the butterfly and less sensitivity. Or alternatively if the lever at the pedal end has been shortened….

It could also be that the butterfly lever on the carb has been altered (but this is less likely?)

Cheers

Howard
I'll have a check tomorrow, but the post above suggesting that the hand throttle gives the full range of throttle from tickover to wide open suggests mine is normal.
It just feels sensible to me to have it allowing fine tuning of tickover, which is currently covered by less than 1/2 inch of travel of the lever. Having it cover the full range seems odd, other than the aforementioned feature of using it as a primitive cruise control!
Is it a problem with the throttle lever or the worn butterfly spindle on the carb allowing air to leak in. My old FZ is well worn and if you just leave the engine to idle, the revs go up and down on their own - even with the throttle lever disconnected.
I think the throttle linkages look pretty original - as does the rest of the linkage now I look again - it's the choke that's a bit of coat hanger!
I don't think the tickover wanders much (though I'll check the spindle sometime) it's just really hard to set (other than for hot, which I can set using the screw on the carb).