The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear brake operating lever.
I have a Mk1 1935 Ruby. Can anyone tell me the correct orientation for the rear brake operating levers (the ones with the ball ends that connect to the brake cables and turn the brake cams when the brakes are operated.) The ones on my car point upwards with the ball end facing the hub but this means the cables rub on the underside of the floor panel of the car. Having turned these 180 degrees they now run clear of the floor but are they correct.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have little experience of Rubies, but I believe that the Mk1 ARQ Ruby shares the same brakes as the RP saloon. On my RP the rear brake levers are fitted pointing downwards (i.e. with the ball end towards the floor) which appears to be the correct fitment.
The correct orientation is with the levers downwards. The picture shows an earlier chassis with short levers but the orientation is the same.

Does your car have 1935/6 brakes with offset brake shoes (lozenge shaped backplates)??
Thank you both for your replies. It has put my mind at rest knowing that I have now got them correct. My problem is that if a previous owner has wrongly assembled something on my Seven I will copy the mistake if I have to strip it down and reassemble unless it is really obvious.
Once again thank you both.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Can levers be simply inverted or does the cam have to be changed?
While near the subject, is the forward "'lean"' of the shoe anchor points the same throughout, or was it increased for the long lever cars?  Are the cams common to all the pre Girling? Are the cotters all square to the arm? Often see levers upside down. On normal height cars is it done because some models will not otherwise accept long levers?
The cams are handed. The levers should point slightly backwards so that when the brakes are applied the go towards vertical. That's the point of maximum leverage.
It the levers are pointing slightly forwards then the cams need to be swapped side to side.
Jim
Do you have the cable guide fitted to the rear crossmember ??
I think its a pulley on the later cars and a bush on the earlier ones.
The cotter nuts fitted to Austin levers should always point away from the centre of the car to achieve the correct pull.

Girling cotter nuts are the opposite and are always on the side that faces the the centre of the car.

In short, if you stand at the front or the rear of an Austin braked, correctly set up, you will see the nut. On a Girling braked car you will see the tail of a the cotter.

Getting this correct makes quite a difference, in my experience.