The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking a dynamator
Hi Speedex.
Is it the dyn or regulator which gives trouble?
Should be OK if the fields rewound for 12v, possibly not hugely expensive or difficult.
Off hand I dunno if the RB106 has both a voltage and current adjustable coil but even if it has a current adj dunno if could be set down to say 10 amps. Without retaining 3rd brush may be difficult to restrict max current. The 3rd brush is admittedly a weak link as seems to wear rapidly.
Hi Bob,

The regulator has been fine even though it will be working really hard with a low resistance 6v field coil. It has been the brush gear that has been a problem though I confess that a worn spindle at the drive end through the bush is probably letting the armature bounce and giving the brushes a hard time mechanically. I now run it with a sliver of cardboard in the regulator points to disable the electrical side and just keep the battery well topped up on a floating charger. I've got tired of taking the dynamo out and reworking everything and seek an alternative solution. I'd even take a 6v dynamator and change the regulator - eliminating a possible poor spec component. Or even a duff one as long as the armature and field coils weren't open circuit.

I did explore rewinding the dynamo field coils to work on 12v with a higher resistance, DIY in my usual manner. There's a previous post on here somewhere with my experiences. I could make the coils flat but struggled to then roundify them to fit closely around the shoe and tightly inside the dynamo body.

Thanks for your interest and all the others who have commented.

Dave