The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long will it take?
OK, I know the answer is the length of a piece of string, but I really value the experience on this forum and need a guide.

My APE Engine is out of the car in pieces. Completely rebored, new cylinder liners, new studs, expertly fitted pistons, rings etc.
The car was runnning (but roughly) before this work, so all the bits are there, including new gaskets, and ready for assembly.

So, a poll for the experts: How long would it take you to put it all back together in the car and get it running?

Richard
Re-assembly of an engine that has previously been running in a car should not take long, I would hope to get it done in a week, and putting it back in the car should only take a couple of hours.
The time ramps up exponentially if you are putting an engine together from an assortment of unknown parts.  My latest motor has taken a couple of years on and off.  The crankcase alone needed a new foot, the front lip replacing, numerous threads helicoiling, new studs etc.
The thing to remember is that it is worth taking a bit of time to do the job right.
The last complete engine rebuild I completed in a weekend, but I had sorted all the problems of stripped threads etc in advance of assembly. It took me another day to drop the engine in and get it running nicely.

So in answer to your question, three full days, assuming no problems.
How long indeed is a piece of string?

There are people out there who have done this literally hundreds of times and could probably get the job done in a morning (blindfolded and with one hand tied behind them!). Others might take a couple of weeks.

It's all down to experience, preparation and having the right kit to hand.
Hi

It also depends on the number of hours a day you are prepared to work on the engine and how fastidious you are.

I’d rather take weeks than hours and get it right.

The last engine I built (I’ve only built 4!!) has taken nearly two years of collecting parts, getting machining done and about three weeks putting it all together.  I’m retired so can spend several hours a day in the workshop (much to the delight of SWMBO).

Cheers

Howard