The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension travel on Ulster Rep
Photo 
Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is a question with an obvious answer. I have an Ulster Rep and have some issues with the wing supports at the front fouling the the wheels when turned. As I am working on the front, I noticed that the rear wings are not centered on the tyres. The tyres are near the outer edge of the wing, which is a hooded one. While Chris Gould's book mentions that the tyre's should be centered(logically) I began to wonder if there is a reason to have them as they are. I have thought that possibly with suspension travel and body roll, the outside cornering tyre may need the extra clearance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Are both sides like this? I can't tell from the photo.

Any difference between fitting the 17 inch vs the 19 inch wheels?
No,the 17s and 19s sit in the same position.
Is it a late rear axle? Aren't they wider by a couple of inches?
Erich,

I would suggest that the original assembly of your car was a little shy on measurement, certainly nothing that will cause you any problems.

The car looks to be a lot of fun - have you given it a good blast yet?
(25-01-2018, 04:31 AM)Erich Wrote: Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is a question with an obvious answer. I have an Ulster Rep and have some issues with the wing supports at the front fouling the the wheels when turned. As I am working on the front, I noticed that the rear wings are not centered on the tyres. The tyres are near the outer edge of the wing, which is a hooded one. While Chris Gould's book mentions that the tyre's should be centered(logically) I began to wonder if there is a reason to have them as they are. I have thought that possibly with suspension travel and body roll, the outside cornering tyre may need the extra clearance.

Hi Erich

It looks a very nice recreation indeed. I like the steering wheel and its colour. Out of interest, whose mudguards have you used, and whose steering wheel too? Have you more photos including side views. The exhaust looks stainless steel...is it, I intend using stainless on mine.

regards

Arthur
It might simply be the angle the photo's taken at but the off side mudguard looks to be set at a slight angle. The top outer edge appears to be further out than the bottom outer edge. If that's so, setting the mudguard level will cause the bottom of the mudguard to step out correcting, to a degree at least, its apparent position in relation to the wheel/tyre.

That is, of course, if it really bothers you. One wing on my trials Chummy has been set at a slight angle for the last 15 years. It's each to his own of course but it's never stopped me or it doing what we do.

Steve
Looking again I can see that you have Girling backplates - have they cut down the side tubes of a later axle or machined the ends off a 30/31 type?

If the former, then the positioning of the spring is different (even when narrowed) and will affect the width.
Ruairidh, I do have Girling backplates. I don't know if it is a cut down, but it is a bolt up rear axle according to Steve Hodgson who did some work on the car. He advised it is a better axel as ratios are more easily changed. Still have not got the car out as I'm hassling with the front wings whose mounts foul the wheels. Once I get that sorted I can get it on the road. I also need to rivet the rear bulkhead, which was never done. On a side note, I have heard from a friend that aluminum rivets harden with age. Boeing uses theirs within a month of getting them.

Arthur, the wheel came with the car and is an original Blumels in good shape. I'm afraid I can't help with the mudguards as they came with the car. I have not seen the hooded type before. The body is a Compound Curvatures from the early 90s so perhaps they produced them. The exhaust is not stainless.

Best,

Erich
Aircraft rivets come in various grades to suit the skin material, soft grade are most suitable for our needs.
Black Art Enthusiast