The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hitherto unknown and important benefit of E10
An astounding reduction in oil consumption from 175 to 500 miles per pint

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anyone noticing this, please?

Would there a reduction the need for decokes, I wonder?
If it's of any use, I have recently done over 800 miles on a trip to Italy in my 1997 MGF, which (dependant on which blurb you read) is either E10 compliant or not. In any case It set off from Rekkers Towers to and from Cuneo in northern Italy using E10 all the way. I didn't notice ANY difference either in engine performance or in fuel economy - the car returned just under 50mpg for the trip.

It is said that petrol cars before 2002 are not generally E10 compliant, but then it's the same engine in the Land Rover Freelander and their blurb says it is...
With respect to Austin Seven engine oil consumption - if E10 is reducing it, then someone will have noticed?
E10, TVO, Avgas, doesn’t matter what I put in the Ruby’s tank, oil leaks continue.

Was L. Cutler, the grandfather of Ivor?
...burning oil continues?
50 + years ago, when I and friends were doing 15 to 20 thousand miles a year, I can't remember ever doing a "decoke". Depending upon the road mileage between events, I did give the valves a light grind before any competition use - but never bothered scraping off carbon. Perhaps by the 1960s and 1970s oils and piston materials (that combined to reduce wear and blowby) had improved so much that the old decoke routine was no longer necessary. Do high-mileage owners of today find the same thing?
As Ivor was born in 1923 surely L. Cutler would have had a Glasgow postal address to have been his father? Tales from a "Scotch Sitting Room" would have certainly been strange coming from SW13...
That John Ravenscroft has a lot to answer for!
In the far off days when decokes were routine it was often claimed that some customers reported a decline in performance, presumably due lowered c.r.

In the 1960s my RP burned a lot of oil but near  every use involved over a mile flat out and a 120 mile mostly flat out open road run most weekends. The top speed used to rapidly fall from 50 to little more than 45. A decoke immediately restored althought the carbon was not enormous. I can only presume the breathing was restricted.  Did not notice the effect with later head or other makes.

It is claimed that any water entering cylinders causes carbon to disappear.
As Ivor was born in 1923 surely L. Cutler would have had a Glasgow postal address to have been his father? Tales from a "Scotch Sitting Room" would have certainly been strange coming from SW13...

Unless Cutler L. was working as a tester for Argyll, Galloway or Albion, temporarily based at one of their London showrooms.... "Tales from a Battersea Sitting Room" would have been interesting if written in Govan.