The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedy Starter Handle Bush
On on my pressure fed engine in the Arrow, the spring loaded shaft that the starter handle engages has a brass bush that both retains the spring and bears against the nose cone aluminium end. The bush is crudely made, so is possibly not original, and has been slowly grinding away the aluminium!
Im making a new one, but before I start could anyone tell me...
is the original design bush brass, bronze or steel and does it bear on the nose cone directly or should there be sleeve. Also the bush has three curious grooves on its inside diameter, I cant see the purpose of these grooves - can anyone with a speedy engine remember seeing these on their engine.
A picture of an original bush would be greatly appreciated, even the view with just the chrome nut removed would be useful

Finally I thought there was a parts list book that had a section view of the speedy engine, I cant find it on the archive. Thoughts as to where I may have seen this?
Not had an original one but working from drawings supplied by a trusted A7 man the collar/ bush at the front should be retained at the front by a 1 1/8" od x 7/8"I/d bush 5/8" wide,held in position by a 3/16/2ba grub screw,similar to photo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is this the cutaway you're looking for?
.jpg   IMG_20190722_0002.jpg (Size: 157.39 KB / Downloads: 153)
(04-04-2022, 12:42 AM)Mark Dymond Wrote: On on my pressure fed engine in the Arrow, the spring loaded shaft that the starter handle engages has a brass bush that both retains the spring and bears against the nose cone aluminium end. The bush is crudely made, so is possibly not original, and has been slowly grinding away the aluminium!
Im making a new one, but before I start could anyone tell me...
is the original design bush brass, bronze or steel and does it bear on the nose cone directly or should there be sleeve. Also the bush has three curious grooves on its inside diameter, I cant see the purpose of these grooves - can anyone with a speedy engine remember seeing these on their engine.
A picture of an original bush would be greatly appreciated, even the view with just the chrome nut removed would be useful

Finally I thought there was a parts list book that had a section view of the speedy engine, I cant find it on the archive. Thoughts as to where I may have seen this?

Mark

I have a set of drawings for the Speedy nose feed, drawn (by someone else) from observation, not by the factory.
Message me an email address and I'll send them over

Charles
Thanks all, that does look like the section drawing I was thinking of, shame it ends just short of the end bush. Interestingly the drawing has a a couple of subtle differences to my engine. Mine has a steel carrier to hold the two front bearings and the oil seal has some diferences
That is the original arrangement for a speedy as the drawing.The only bit missing is collar retaining the spring at the front.
Steel outer ring tubular rubber seal on a bronze bush white metalled in the bore running on the steel starter dog nut.
The pressure fed Ulsters blown and unblown both had different set ups.