The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle rubber bump stops
Would rubber rear axle bump stops have originally been fitted to a SWB 1930 RL?

If so, how and where would they have been fitted. No obvious clues on my car!

Thanks for any help.
Nobby Springs, aka Boingy boingy springs are what you should have. Find a pair immediately!
No, bump stops were never fitted, Nobby's do help particularly if you have old worn springs or carry a lot of weight, however be warned they place a lot of load through the rear floor and will over time cause a number of stress fractures so perhaps not an ideal solution depending on how you use your car.
Black Art Enthusiast
I would bite the bullet and order a pair of new rear springs.
10years of use with Nobby springs I popped the floor on my RL.

It had a set of Ian Dunfords LWB box rear springs (yes you did read that right) put on it this winter. 

We did about 50miles with 2 overweight adults and what amounts to a normal size adult (aka sulky teenager) plus picknic this weekend. Didn't bottom out once. 

Rides better on the new springs too. It seems in hindsight that it was under damped with the nobbys on.
In conventional cars, having near all the roll resistance provided by the rear is not considered conducive to good handling (ie original VW) but with the high frame Sevens esp the rear wheel steer effects are so overwhelming that anything which stiffens the rear seems to assist handling. At the modest cornering speeds possible, tyre loading effects are very secondary except in the wet or on metal. Rear axle damping is certainly inadeqaute on the heavier RP. On corrugations the wheels seem to lose effective contact.
When I had rear suspension problems and after trying a 'Nobby' I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of new springs from Dunfords. 
Most pictures of Sevens indicate a tired rear suspension, understandable after their long and varied lives.
The replacement springs transformed the car in every way and whilst it still has the oddities of the Austin Seven steering it's predictable now, a pleasure to drive and not bottoming out on our less than perfect Welsh country roads.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !